1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I may make the switch to Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mybikeisblack, Dec 17, 2011.

1. I was at guitar center the other day and they had this beautiful MIJ Fender pJ lyte(not sure if this is the correct model). It was what I'm assuming candy Apple Red. It played so amazingly and the tone I got from it was just godly. I now see what all the fuss is about with Fender.

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    You should.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    MIJ, in my honest opinion and experiences, was making the best Fender basses for a long while, but the most recent American models have also been incredibly good. Try picking a MIA up to see how you like them.

4. Well, I'm partial to anything made in Japan. I'm super in their culture so finding this bass must have been a sign, plus its red which happens to be my favorite color. Wasn't too fond of the gold hardware though

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Meh, hardware can easily be swapped out. If you liked it then I think you should get it :)

6. pbass1.

This is what they had. Not the exact one, just one I found from Google images. I may go up there tomorrow and ponder on it some more. Might trade in some other equipment.

7. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Cool thing about fender, esp MIJ stuff, is if for some reason you don't like it, they hold their value pretty well, so you won't get hosed if you find out you don't like it and want to sell it! I'm a fan of the PJ setup myself, sounds like a nice bass, go for it!

8. You may wanna try a deluxe Jaguar too...for me a Jazz or Jaguar are the dogs bollocks (I love the sound of a precision, but those pickup screws are in the wrong place...)

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Hey, Mybikeisblack--I'm from Dayton too. I've seen that bass...it's sweet. Thought about getting it myself, but my wife would not be happy if I bought another bass.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    If a bass speaks to you, take it home. As a result, if your wife doesn't speak to you, find another.:D

Seriously, those are great sounding basses and the prices aren't half bad considering how well they're built. Lot's of discounts at the big box stores (GC, SamAsh, Amazon, etc.) these days so be sure to look for the lowest price or best deal and have them match or beat it.

11. jeffwo

jeffwo

Feb 16, 2010
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Beautiful bass - get it!

12. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    Welcome to the club....

13. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    You too? :D

I'm in a give to get arrangement now. I can't get a new/different bass unless I give one up.

14. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Fender makes a wide range of basses. I fought the urge for the first few years after I got back into playing. Then I found the CIJ basses (Aeros, Geddy, etc) and they have been solid values over the years. Had a few MIAs and they were great too. Overall quality over the past 2 years has really gone up across fender models including Squiers. I'm really wanting to grab the Squier Matt Freeman.

15. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    YEp, was recording some tracks last night on my MIJ, Lyte, and switched from the bridge jazz pup to the neck P Pup and rolled off the huge bottom to get the input more balanced (it also showed up on the recording deck). It was grand.

BTW, its an active pup system.

Saw another one in a local store in the $400 range.

NO regrets for 6-1/2 years.

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I've tried and owned a lot of basses. Many of them have enhanced tone compared to a stock Fender with passive pickups when soloed, but nothing sits in the mix like the Fender. I get more compliments at gigs on my tone with my MIM P-Bass with '62 RI PUPs than I ever did with my Alembic.