1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I messed up my warwick! crap!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LaquerFunkMonk, May 4, 2006.

1. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    I bought this beautiful 5 string Warwick Corvette with an oil finished Bubinga wood body and Ovangkol wood neck. This thing sounded awsome. when i slapped the B string, it sounded like a slammed a piano! freakin beautiful!!.....But then..my dumb-ass decided to wax this ****er with this can of wax it came with. I might have ****ed up and waxed the frettboard with the strings on it. now i dont get the same slap tone. I tried washing the strings with Paint Thinner, soap,that citrus anti-greaser. Nothing! i dont get that same slap tone i had.....do i have to buy new strings? do i have to clean the whole bass? Should i wait til the wax wears away? does it wear away?what the ****!!!! If anyone has gone through this...and found the light...please help. Thanx in advance!

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hmmm. you waxed the fingerboard as well with the strings on it ... That Wax that came with the bass is for the Body and back of the neck only. So it seems the wax is muffling your tone because it is now on the strings and the neck. Im not sure you should have used paint thinner either! ooof. for now take off the strings and throw them out, Buy new strings. Hopefully someone here will chime in with how go about getting the wax off of the fretboard.
    - TOm

3. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Hey man get some new strings and just rub down your fingerboard real good. ITs not so bad...

4. maybe try the dunlop 010 fingerboard cleanr? It's like $5

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All you did was make the strings are ewwy and gooey. Just put a new set on there.

6. Christ on a stick dude, you messed up a set of strings, big deal, you havent messed up your bass!

7. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    i hope you guys are right....but im afraid that new strings wont sound the same, so Im searching for the Exact strings this thing came with from the factory. I think theyre Warwick 45 set. but If you guys have any suggestions on any great strings( that sound like piano strings being slammed), please drop a dime!

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    definately do NOT wax anything but the body. I wouldnt even wax the neck as it slows your hand down. The fingerboard is so pourious that i would think the wax would gunk it up. My guess would be you just ruined the strings though, like everyone said get a new set. My thumb sounds significantly better with DR highbeams on it, just a suggestion.

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Maby some GHS boomers Flea sigs would do the trick for a good slap tone

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Get some naptha from Home Depot to wipe off all the wax. Obviously, don't pour it on the bass, just moisten a soft cloth with it and rub off the wax. The wax is only for the body. While you're at Home Depot, get some boiled linseed oil. Lightly apply it to the back of the neck and the fretboard. It should soak in immediately. Don't over-apply it. Warwick recommends this maintenance monthly, and I wouldn't argue with them about it. But, I have a question. Why would you wax the strings? The original strings are Warwick Black label.

11. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    new strings man. But I would like to hear that slap tone.

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Neck is the most important part to wax, because it's subjected to the highest risk of cracking.

I always waxed all my Thumb, body, neck and fingerboard and the wood is still wonderful, despite the bass being 17 years old.

Just put te right amount of wax, let dry and then remove the excess with a soft cloth.

13. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Warwick Black Label stainless roundwound.

Next time remember to remove your strings before applying the wax, and put them back again only when the wax has dried.

14. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I prefer the term "jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick!"

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Don't wax your strings. Luckily for you, strings can be replaced and are quite abundant. Why, 30 seconds of research led me to this link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Accessories?sku=105012

Per the verbiage in said link, these are the strings shipped with every Warwick bass. They should yield the same tone, assuming there were the same strings that you ruined. Problem solved, without taking any additional chemicals to your bass. Thank god you came here before you got out the belt sander.

I highly recommend reading the instructions that came with your bass, the Warwick website and many of the stickies in the repair and setup forum.

16. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    try some dr high beams. i hated the warwick strings on my thumb and changed them as soon as possible, but thats just me. they have a great slap tone, imo. the warwick strings seemed that they would be hard on the frets.

17. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    At least I'm sure the strings enjoyed the unexpected little rubbing with wax. . . kinda new to them, you know. . .

I would recommend cleaning the fretboard with a few drops of lemon oil (which is a cleanser more than a lubricant - you probably don't need any lubricant; it's a new bass) and put a new set of Warwick stainless steel strings, or DR High Beams, as suggested.

DON'T FREAK OUT, my young one. . . :oops:

18. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    If it makes you feel any better, that piano sound would have gone away within about a month as your strings got gunked up with oils and skin cells from your hands as well as dust from your house or smoke from gigs. I play Warwicks as well and love the piano tone you get on them.

By the way, almost any new roundwound string is going to give you that piano tone. I think it comes more from the bell brass frets and the woods/shape than your strings. I've gone through several different brands and my warwicks have always sounded pretty much the same. You can buy the warwick black labels and have what shipped with your bass, or you can try swapping to something cheaper.

Oh yeah, and listen to the advice about waxing your fretboard and neck--it needs to be done or you risk cracking. Just take your strings off first next time, and you definitely shouldn't be using much of the wax. Follow the instructions that came with your bass (or are available on Warwick's website).

19. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    I just bought DR Lowriders at luch break from work, cant wait to brig em home and try them out. I hope youre all right.....Im still nervous and afraid....but ill let you guys know as soon as i slap these babies on......God help me. Thanx guys....i hope im freakin out over something miniscule

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As previously stated, even if you didnt rub wax all over the strings, you would not have that tone forever anyway, unless you replaced the strings every 2-3 weeks for the rest of your life. Strings break in. Sweat and other oils build up on them and result in a similiar affect as what you did, although less drastic.