1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I met Cheap Trick tonight.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PDubs, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Cheap Trick was headlining a concert tonight at the famed Beacon Theater in Manhattan. Fastball(remember them??) and Soul Asylum opened.

The company I work for was working in conjunction with the radio station that sponsored the event. Me and a couple of co-workers got some backstage passes. Cheap Trick came by to say hello and take a couple of pictures. Tom Petersson was cool but didnt say much. Rick Nielson was an awesome guy, by far the friendliest.

My co-workers had no idea who they were and kept asking me if it was Soul Asylum. I couldn't help laughing to myself.

Cool guys all around. The show rocked as well.

Cool experience. I'll post some pics when I get them.

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    How was Tom's 12-string bass tone???

Looking forward to your pics!

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Pictures would be great! I've admired a lot of their work since "Live at Budokan."

4. I also met these guys and spent a number of hours with them in San Antonio, Philippines in '83 I think. They were part of a USO tour that was "doing Asia" and boy did they do Asia!

The 'All Star' cast consisted of guys from Doobie Brothers, Cheap Trick and some other bands I can't recall anymore. But anyway the Cheap Trick guys came into our communications center, hung out, gave autographs, posed for pics, asked us a bunch of questions about what we did there 'living in paradise'. Cheap Trick caused quite a stir when they partied HARD in Olongapo City and Angeles City. All the 'local girls' gave them all an enthusistic "thumbs up".

Oh.. BTW: the show was also very good! :bassist:

5. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    That sounds like an awesome show, man. How was Fastball? "The Way" was one of the first basslines I learned.

6. gotta love Cheap Trick!!!

7. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Good bunch of guys.Rick Nielson grew up about 40 miles from me in Rockford IL.His dad owned a music store there. I actually jammed with him and a bunch of other guys one sunday afternoon back in the mid 60's.I think his band at the time was called Fuse.He was a crazy dude.

8. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Cheap Trick has been one of my favorites for 20+ years; I've seen them in concert several times and they never dissapoint. But man are they loud!!

Many or most young people have no idea who they are...

9. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    Trying to post a pic, but file is too big. Any suggestions?

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Subscribing to see the pics.

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Just ran into Cheap Trick in front of Willie's Guitars in St. Paul this afternoon:

Willie's is right next to a malt shop. A limo pulls up, and we think "oh, it must be someone's prom". Nope, Cheap Trick pops out, and apparently were picking up something they had on hold there. It's a cool store--tons of vintage stuff that I can't afford. But, clearly Cheap Trick can ;.)

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Cheap Trick a great live band.

Here is the album cover from the band Fuse with Rick & Tom.

2928800.jpg

13. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I met Rick Nielson two weeks ago at Chicago Music Exchange.
    Super cool guy.