Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I met Dave and Taylor =D

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by popinfresh, Dec 13, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Went and saw Foo Fighters over here and I must say, best live show ever. The lasers and all that were awesome, made rainbows and had clouds going through them etc, looked sweet.

Anywho, after the concert we were waiting around a bit to try and meet them. Some chicks came out of door 1 (backstage) and we snuck in before the door closed again. Real cool back there, but we didn't get majorly far, cos we got kicked out pretty quick.
    Anywho, so we went outside whilst it was absolutely bucketing down with rain. I got one of their tour posters (they're massive) so used a jumper to try protect it. We walked out and saw a Torago van waiting for someone to get in, so we ran around the side to the driveway and waited for someone to come out. After a little while we saw Taylor come out and knock on the window as he went passed. I chased after the van until the intersection where it stopped. Kinda funny, because Motley Crue just played next door and I was running through a crowd of drunkin' crue fans.
    Got to the car and Taylor wound down the window. Nicest guy ever. Got a couple photo's and talked for about 5 minutes while the car just sat there, lol. Talked to him about Steward Copeland as well which he loved.

The next day we went back and waited around the same place for them to come back in. We thought they'd maybe sound check again so got there early and waited around. Dave was the first to arrive (about 6 hours later, lol) after spending the day at Myer and we got him over to talk to us. Really cool guy, nice as anything. We gave him a band demo and talked to him about Roy from Soulfly (drummer) and Killing Heidi's producer. We know him from guitarists family, so I think we scored some bonus points with Dave talking about him.

Anyway, that's my rant. I forgot to ask him to sign my shirt though, which is annoying =/
    Just wanted to say they're awesome guys and put on an amazing show. Can't wait until they supposedly come back out here next year with an acoustic tour :D

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    cool... except... don't famous people not like taking fan's demos? :confused:

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, I woulda thought that. But he came over when we showed it to him, always seemed happy about it etc.
    Then when we said that Roy loves us he thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully he listens to it, if not, what can you do? Worth a shot.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Marilyn Manson got their record deal by giving Trent Reznor a copy of their demo. Devo got theirs by giving Iggy Pop and David Bowie a copy of their demo. At best they will volunteer to produce your band and help you get a deal, especially if they own their own label. At worst they'll throw it out and never listen to it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BTW, I hope you remembered to put your contact info on the CD itself. Most of the time, people throw out the box and just keep the CD, and if you don't have contact info on the CD itself, they'll never be able to contact you if they want to do business.

That actually happened to Devo. They gave Iggy and Bowie their demo and had the contact info on the cassette box label but not on the cassette itself. If Iggy hadn't been driving by the club in Los Angeles Devo was playing and saw the sign by chance, he'd have never known who they were and possibly Devo would have never got a record deal.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeppers, I wrote my mobile number, e-mail and the bands my-space on the disc.

I'm hoping because dave's a nice guy and we talked to him about Roy etc and other things that he'd at least give it a listen.
    We also wrote on the paper bag (haha, yeah, we didn't have a CD case on the day, cheap) that we loved Taylors backup vocals and some other random stuff that Dave laughed at, so hopefully he showed Taylor/other guys and someone in there listened to some of it.

Worst case is indeed that he just chucked it, oh well, I got to meet him which was freakin awesome.

It also sucks that they're on the road etc so they have no way of contacting you really. Especially as this tour they've gotten so big =/