Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I met Major Metal (and Michael Jewels and Dave Wilson)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Lee (QSC), Oct 21, 2005.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Two weeks ago I was in New York City for the Audio Engineering Society convention, so Kevin (Major Metal) organized a meetup in Manhattan with some NYC-area TBers.

I arrived at 7 P.M. at the Heartland Brewery on 43rd St, near Times Square. The Major, Michael, and Dave were already there, and we found each other easily even though I'd never met any of them before.

Here's Major Metal:
    [​IMG]

Here's Michael:
    [​IMG]

And here's Dave:
    [​IMG]

It was a blast meeting these guys, and they're all really cool people. I like brews that I can't see through, so I drank a couple pints of the brewery's fine oatmeal stout, and a buffalo burger with fries for dinner.

Here we are at the table (from left to right: Bob (me), Dave, Kevin, and Michael):
    [​IMG]

Dave's from Scotland originally, so he told us of St Andrews, which he said was the only Scottish bar in all of New York. It was only a block north of where we were, so we walked to it. St Andrews served Scottish beers and ales, as well as scotch whisky, including 195 different single malts. Decision, decisions … I went for the Bruichladdich. The other guys started with some beers.

Here are Michael, Dave, and Kevin:
    [​IMG]

Here are Michael and me:
    [​IMG]

And Dave, Kevin, and me:
    [​IMG]

We sat there enjoying the good drinks and good craic, and even the UConn-Syracuse football game was on the nearby TV, which the Huskies won handily. It doens't get any better than this, at least not without hockey, too. Suddenly several FDNY firefighters walked in the front door, in their boots, coats, helmets, oxygen tanks, et al., and they headed toward the back where the stairs were that led down to the basement and the mens and ladies rooms.

We were surprised to see them until we noticed the smoke rising up from a manhole cover in the street, just outside the bar's front door. An underground transformer had caught fire. There was no point in us leaving and breathing the acrid smoke outside, so we stayed for--I think--two more rounds of drinks. Even the firefighters said we should stay if we didn't really need to leave. Soon, the lights started flickering intermittently as a result of the transformer burning. The flickering went on now and then for about 45 minutes or so before the electricity went out completely. By that time, the flames and smoke were belching out of the manhole cover.

I didn't think to snap pictures of the fire until the flames had died down below their peak, but here they are, as seen through the front window:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin had to leave before the rest of us did, so we said our goodbyes and I thanked him for organizing the night. The other remaining patrons, the waitstaff, the firemen, and we three just waited around, illuminated only by the bar's emergency lights. It reminded me of waiting out a storm with a bunch of strangers. There wasn't much else to do but chat with everyone, have a laugh, and finish our drinks. Dave quipped that he'd always dreamed of being trapped in a bar, but the experience wasn't as good as he'd anticipated.

Finally, the bar manager decided to close down, so one by one we stepped into the bar's entryway, closed the inside door, took a breath, and then stepped through the outside door and made our way briskly toward Times Square and cleaner air.

Thanks to Michael, Dave, and Kevin for a really good time, and extra thanks to Kevin for making it happen.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Bob it was my pleasure and honor to finally meet you, let us know when your back in the area. Peace. :)

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    a TB photo essay! cool!

good meeting you Bob, had a blast

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They say the camera adds ten pounds, and I think there were two cameras taking my picture. ;)

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm glad to see pictures of Mike (one of my appreciated TB buddies).

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Gotta love the Sadowsky T-shirt. :D

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Michael Jewels looks exactly how I always pictured him to look! creepy

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Why does it not surprise me that Kevin would be wearing a Sadowsky T-shirt?

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wish I was there, I have a lot of respect for the 4 of you - you guys are good people.

:)

10. Thanks for the pictures ! Looks like you had a good time :)

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    WOW that's some dark beer!

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Cool post fellow TBers!

your welcome to visit us here in sunny Hawaii. we have a number of venues/bars that we could go to... down some brews and critique the acoustic frequency responses of a number of rigs. LOL!!!!

:D :eyebrow: :D

13. Bassmanbob

I'm not much of a drinker, but I love darker beers when I do. Bass Ale, Boddington Ale, even an occational Guiness (but you need a knife and fork for that one).

I guess I like the English Ales the most.

It's really great how the TB bass community can get together from different parts of the country (and Canada) and enjoy each other's company. Nice going guys!

14. Grrr, a decent scottish pub should never ever ever have a tennants logo :scowl:

Sounds like you guys had a blast tho :D

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I know, I tried to explain that. We were actually drinking Belhaven in those pictures :)

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I had the pleasure of tipping a few with Mr. Jewels a few years back, and look forward to repeating the experience soon. Maybe the NEXT NYC TB GTG....and I'll get to meet the rest of the crew...

:)

Great pics of the transformer fire, Bob! ;)

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I wanted to make sure Bob could pick me out since we havent met before. ;)

18. Bassmanbob

That was good! LOL!

I may be coming to NYC for my brother's Bday in November. I would like to sneak away and have a "Bass Afternoon." I'll let you guys know if I'll be in NY. Maybe I shouldn't. You may hide.

19. Looks like a great evening. You guys make NYC seem quite inviting and I despise cities. Your tastes in brews accord with mine, the browner the better.