I met Victor Wooten yesterday

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Groove*Rocket, May 29, 2001.

1. In Menlo Park, California, Victor gave a clinic with JD Blair (drummer). There were about 30 people in the audience on folding chairs at the Riekes Center. I sat about eight feet from Victor and had a terrific experience listening to him play and rap for about 2.5 hours. The playing was spontanteous, but obviously phenomenal. Victor spent some time discussing his thumb/finger technique, but also spoke philosophically on music and nature. He and JD were very approachable and laid back. I consider myself very fortunate and urge anyone to try to take advantage of seeing and hearing Victor in a forum such as this.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey that's very cool! Hope he makes it to Chicago sometime.
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've attended a few Flecktones shows, and was able to meet Vic each time along with the rest of the band, Bele, Futureman and Jeff. And your right, it's great. I've also attended a bass workshop featuring Vic and Steve Bailey and was able to meet both of them. Very humble individuals, it was truly a great experience.
    Lots of inspiration.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Got to speak with Victor after a concert a couple months ago. Signed my pickguard and he even said hi to my son. Very gracious and very personable. Sure would like to hang with him in the setting you were in. I'm in the sticks in AZ so that won't happen here. :(
  5. I am going to choke victor if I ever see him, I have been locked in my room for weeks trying to learn classical thump, why oh why did he do this to me, I am going insane I must learn it. Ok that's enough talking I have to get back to practicing this, I will Lean it, Oh yes I will learn it.
  6. I have also met Vic, he is a great person and is full of insight. I also attended one of his "Master Classes". Though it was fun to see Vic in action. It was a rather dissapointing experience. It contained about 12 students, and most of the time was spent having each student play for a while. Then the rest of the time was spent by Vic answering questions like..."What kind of strings do you use?" and of course Vic being the great person he is, answered all of these questions.
  7. As a classic finger style and thumb-finger pluck funk player, I was intrigued by Vics explanantion and demonstration of his thumb-fingerstyle, which involves both downand upstroke motions with his thumb followed by first and/or second finger plucks plus hammer-ons. He gets this goind in nice smooth runs of 3-6 beofre seamlessly repeating the motion. I tried this last night and can get no where near his thump-pop sound with this efficient motion. If I don't wack down on the string with my thumb as a slap, then I get a nice mellow, slow attack tone, which is totally un-Vic-like. I didn't expect it would be easy and I doubt it is attributable to differences between his Fodera and my Stingray, but I would like to be able to pull this off even at 20% of what Vic does. I guess I need to catch up woth him again.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Did he mention how I taught him everything he knows?! :D
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And who taught you? ;)

10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But Will, you had asked that I not mention your mentoring as you didn't like being in the spotlight like that! ;)
  11. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Hey There,
    JD is a close friend of mine, and as you heard, he's one of the FUNKIEST drummers on the
    planet!!!! I too encourage anyone, if you get the chance to see Vic up close....check it out!
    I've had the pleasure of doing a gig with him. (he would've been the keyboard player if
    there was one. Bass, Bass, Drums and Guitar.) It was cool!!!! I learned a lot!!!
    Find Victor in YOUR town and go see him! Also, pay attention to the groove that JD lays
    down!!! WHEW!!!! It doesn't get much better than that!!!
  12. JD was particularly cool and really added to the session. He walked in and faced with a 5 piece drum kit + cymbols, immediately stripped it down to just a snare andbass drum with a high-hat and 2 cymbols. He palyed on everything his sticks could reach, including the chain-link fence behind him!!!! You fortunate to be able to play with such a cool drummer!!!
  13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I got to rap with future man for about 20 once in a private type session! Man he had to be stoned out of hes mind! Hes eyes were as red as can be and he was putting down some nachos! I wish he would have shared!
  14. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    YESIR'!!!! It IS a pleasure playing with JD BLAIR. What a solid drummer and friend!
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i met victor when i was 7 year old (i'm a youngin'). Cool dude. I saw a flectones concert. I was just starting electric bass then on a custom-made 1/2 size p-bass copy, still have it.

I think bele should have a video for a joke or something title, "How to play contemporary jazz banjo."