I might be cooked.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassplayin, Feb 16, 2006.

1. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    For the last 10 years I've been playing with 3-5 bands, touring 4-6 times a year, gigging 3-6 nights a week, and always working to make sure my career is moving vertically. The slowburn stress of juggling all the gigs, constantly working on music/learning new songs, late nights, and never enough sleep is starting to catch up with me. I've felt like I needed to take a little break before, but opted to grit my teeth and rock through it- this time, it's different. My life feels out of balance and my performance is starting to diminish.

I'm glad that people dig my playing and appreciate what I can bring into a musicial situation and I'm grateful to be considered one of the serious "players" in the big music town I'm in... but I think I'm losing my grip. Damn it.

Any advice/thoughts/suggestions from players who've been there?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Life is about balance. I hated working 9-5 in an office so I did what you're doing for a while. Then I realised I didn't particularly like that either, and for all the reasons you mentoned.

Nowadays I do both. I work in an office but only 2-3 days a week. The money that brings in means I can cut the gigs down to 2-4 a weeks and still have time for Rest and Recreation.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    For ten years? Dude, no wonder you need a rest. You know how guys in office jobs go on sebaticle (sp?) for the sake of their sanity? I don't think anyone could blame you for the same. Take a vacation -- preferably, spend it *relaxing*. And hey, taking your vacation AT HOME might not be a bad idea! :p

Maybe it's time for you to chill out, take up music education, and teach part time while playing part time. After your vacation. Do you have many family members left? I imagine it'd be hard to juggle all that stuff with a wife and kids, but what about siblings/cousins/etc?
  4. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I have been doing much of the same thing for the last 19 years(I started playing professionally very young)over the last 5 years i have been doing more writing and production.that has allowed me to make money that doesnt involve me have to go out and play as many gig's,as well as use all of my abilities.gigging, especialy if you do it for a living,can burn you out from the stress.maybe the answer is to go from 3-5 bands to 1-2 that you enjoy or that have schedules that fit your life better
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Follow your heart but listen to your mind and body. Cut down on the gigs and get some sleep. Last year I was burning the candle at three ends ( never mind two ) with a stressful job and managing two bands on the side. I was getting by on three to four hours sleep a night. I wound up laid up at home for a mandatory one month break on doctor's orders. I was mentally and physically exhausted. If your mind and your body start telling you they need a rest....best listen and slow down a bit. You will be that much better at the gigs you perform at rested and ready.
  6. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    Thanks for the good suggestions and feedback folks- acheiving balance in my life overall is absolutely what I need to do. Teaching is a great idea! I used to, but haven't in years outside of the occaisional one-off lesson. I want to do more fishing too. And reading. I'll get myself sorted out somehow. Thanks for letting me rant.