1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I might be moving out of the whole "bass rig" thing anytime soon.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allexcosta, Mar 16, 2009.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Got a friend that owns a small PA system that he rents, uses to rehearsal, etc... Anyway, I had a gig and he called me saying that I shouldn't bring an amp, he was going to bring something for me to try out. He shows up with an FBT HimaxX 40A plastic active monitor. Pretty small, lightweight, amazing sounding little thing. I've used EV and RCF in the past and was impressed too, but this time I'm really thinking about moving to a self powered floor monitor. Try one if you can...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oberg

Oberg

Apr 10, 2005
    i have been thinking the same, but i just havent got the money to buy one.

A perfect set-up for me would be a active floor monitor + Bass Pod Pro

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thanks but no thanks, Allex. Looks terrific if that's your kind of thing, but I'd rather have an amp. But I'd be the last person to tell you not to use it if it works for you.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, I saw your "back to 8x10" post and understand the reason...
    My problem is that my back has been killing me for quite a while and I never, ever play without a PA, usually with EAW 2x18's on each side, so... I need something just to hear myself in a few louder than average bands and the whole portability, design, angle and sound of this particular box was extremely impressive...

5. I'm w/ Jimmy on this. Good luck 2 U - if it works for you- Thats great!! BUT I've not heard a PLASTIC speaker sound good yet!! & I've heard LOTS- JBL, EV, Mackie-(end bad sound.com- :) Ha ha!!!) & IMO I thought they ALL sounded tinny. Thats NOT to say the one you're showing & talking about above is gonna be that way to me or anybody else, BUT I got me some OLD-ish JBL SR series PA spkrs that sound SUPERB- warm & project the sound beautifully, & I'll noy have ANY monitor playing MY bass sound. :) As I say IME/IMO & each to his/her own. Congrats If you found something that works 4 U !!!

6. At my school the bass amp died (what would you expect from a Behringer!) and until the school had enough money to allow the music department to buy a new one. Considering it is both a small school and an even smaller music department, i was using a monitor for ages. It does its job but the only thing is that you cannot an EQ unless you have an active bass which the school didnt have.

I would of brought my bass in but its way to bulky for a train :D

7. If you are in the situation of playing with only one band that has good front of house support at all gigs, this is obviously a good solution. For the rest of us that freelance and many times rely on backline only, not so much.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I play in many bands but for some reason there's always a PA. If I go this route my Bergs will continue living with me anyway...

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have debated doing that as well. All I need most of the time is a monitor for me as I have decent FOH at most gigs. I didn't want to carry a big rig around for simple stage monitoring and stand alone jazz combo gigs.

I haven't thought about it for a while now as I have a nice, small, greta sounding combo amp to handle my monitoring and stand alone gigs.

Sounds like a good solution for you.

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

With a powered monitor, you have to carry both the amp and speaker together. That would seem to be worse on the back. So it makes sense only if the powered monitor is lighter than your existing bass cabinet.

As for there "always being a PA," you may find a situation where that doesn't work. Either the PA can't handle bass, or there's a technical problem they can't fix at the gig. Carrying an amp for backup is a prudent move.

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Whats the benefit of spending $1,259.00 on a PA speaker when I could buy a really good lightweight combo for that price that is designed specifically for Bass???
    Sorry, I just don't get it.

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    This one is 39.5 pounds and very easy to carry...

13. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I've used a couple of *gasp* JBL EON15P-1's as my bass rig in the past, albeit with a Pod X3 Live I spent a ton of time tweaking, and it worked out just fine. Granted, there was no mondo bass, but no one complained. I'm back to a traditional bass rig though, simply because I like having my power amp and cab sections separate so if one part fails, the other part is still good to go. However, given I'm still using the X3L extensively for bass and the occasional guitar, I'd like to go back to a modular PA style cab again.

14. i've been playing with a di/preamp direct into the pa. to me it has really cleaned up the on stage sound. i'm able to get a better idea how the bass is sitting in the mix. when using a bass rig i always felt too much bass was on stage muddying up the dynamics. to each there own. most bass players dont use this approach, but it works for me and i dont have to carry a amp. we are using jbl mrx 500 series for mains and have not felt like i am missing anything that i had when i use to bring a bass rig. i am playing with acoustic musicians mostly, on upright and slab, in this situation all you really need is a good mix in the pa. i have found a bass rig is usually unnessasary since i'm not going to want to be louder than my fellow band members.

not sure if buying a self powered box has a benefit or not. if you always have good pa that can support passive speakers, you may find yourself just as happy running a sansamp or fishman pro plat. direct to the board and save a bunch of money and shlepping of gear. just a idea, it works for me and is cheap enough to try.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No matter how old I get, and how hard it is to transport, I just won't give up my bass rig. It's half of my instrument. For those who go the other route, that's fine, but I'm never giving in.

16. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Interesting solution to the "small-portable" problem of bass amplification. I personally love my ampeg tubes, but I'm young and dumb, so I don't mind schleping it (not to mention we almost always have great FOH support!). I've heard bands that only use a Pod or similar device into the PA (for Bass, keys, and acoustic guitars, w/ a small 1x12 combo for electric guitar), and they have sounded GREAT though, so this would be a good solution for monitoring (assuming the FOH monitors are powerful enough to cut through the drums, or your don't have the awesome-but-expensive in-ear monitors!)

17. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I would love to just use my SANSAMP Or VT Bass as it is the only tone I need. I wish I could find a nice portable power amp that is not too $$$$.

18. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Checkout the new Carvins.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's a link to over 30 manufacturers of light weight cabs, heads and combos, many of which come in around 40lbs. (cab and amp or combo) http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442966

If you're interested in lightening your load and still having a bass rig, you might find what you need there.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That could happen with a powered monitor, too. But yeah, if you have a big rig up there, it can - and unless you are smart and aware - does get in the way of the FOH. That's why I use a little combo. It's all I need for monitoring and stand alone.

This will be debated until the end of time. All of us are in different situations, so it's a good thing there's a lot of gear to choose from.