I might buy this. First MusicMan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ComicBass, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Seriously, any thoughts on how legit the add is, how good (or bad) the bass may be would be helpful.

I have been looking for my first USA made bass and also for my first bass with a maple fretboard. But I already have two fenders and I like them but want something different. And non of my other basses are at all similar to this music man...
    So any helpful advice or opinions (or even not so helpful ones) would be appreciated.

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Premier Dealer's Network? Why pay a 10% premium when you can get a BFR (Ball Family Reserve) for a 25% premium? ;)

In all seriousness, there are lots of Bongo fans here and lots of Bongo non-fans here – they'll all be chiming in momentarily. My personal feeling is that you don't have to spend anywhere near that kind of money to get a terrific USA-made non-Fender with a maple fretboard. But if you and/or your hubby have your hearts set on an EBMM, I'm not about to dissuade you.

ComicBass and HELLonWHEELS like this.
  3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I gotta echo this, as the owner of a Bongo for 10 years, I would 100% advocate purchasing one, but not for 2k+. For example, this 6 string BFR is going for the same price on the TB classifieds right now.
    For Sale/Trade - Bongo 6 BFR Ball Family Reserve 43/72. Gorgeous! Trade added + Video Demos

tommyr01 likes this.
  4. Yeah, a EBMM is something I am interested in. They seem to be well liked, although where I live I dont have access to play any. I would also be looking at possibly a stingray but I want the 24 frets so that's not a possibility.

I'm looking for a 5 or 4 string.

I gather neither of you think this bass is worth the asking price. I suppose maybe I should keep looking around...
    I look forward to more opinions and input.
    Thanks a lot, guys!

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Agree that it's marked a little high, looks like it already got reduced recently. That is a gorgeous neck.

If your husband loves you he should buy you a MusicMan. I could not be more happy with the EBMM basses I've owned. Santa knows what you want.

SunByrne and ComicBass like this.
  6. Thanks for the info and opinion! Maybe I should offer the seller a little less? Idk.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Probably search 5 or so and look at the trend. I think that's high. Pretty bass and it's going to sound great.

ComicBass likes this.
  8. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    So I gigged a 2000 EBMM SR5 exclusively for 7 years prior to 2013, It was a great playing bass and sounded pretty good albeit very bright and hi fi sounding. The G string sounded weak (and your Bongo's G string is not centered over the pole). Red flag in my experience. It weighed over10 lbs and that got old over time.

Also the solder joint came loose when I changed the battery at a critical moment rendering the bass useless.

So check the output on the G string, if its not too heavy and you are ok with an active bass maybe failing you at a critical moment? I'd say go for it if you like the tone and playability. My experiences are my own.

ComicBass likes this.
  9. Thanks for your opinion!

I wont get to play before the purchase as the seller is far from my location. I'll look at that g string to pole orientation again. Thanks a lot for your info.

10. That was very astute observation @Jeb ! The G and D string look a bit off center to the pickup poles. I wonder if that will effect the sound negatively? Maybe it's just from the camera angle?
    It really sucks that it is so hard to find these with maple fingerboards....

11. Bongo’s are typically made of Basswood - a very plain-grained wood (and usually always in solid colors). Is this one Alder? Doesn’t quite look like ash...

ComicBass likes this.
  12. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Looks aside, I can honestly say I've never heard a Bongo I didn't love the sound of yet.

ComicBass and Kyuuga like this.
  13. Mikey F

Mikey F Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That looks amazing. Make it happen!

ComicBass likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    One doesn't have to pay anywhere that much for a bongo (even when going 2nd hand from a shop).
    That said; If this is THE ONE for you...go ahead.

ComicBass and deernaes like this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    If you’re simply looking for *a* Music Man bass or a *USA* bass, a Bongo might not be the best choice out of the blue. And if you’re looking for *a* Bongo, *this* Bongo might not be the best choice. But if you love *this* Bongo, you’d better jump on it because it will be a long wait to find another like it.

For the first-time Music Man customer, I would recommend a StingRay Special HH. It has that distinctive StingRay sound, but is tamer and more versatile than previous StingRay versions. For the first-time Bongo customer, I would suggest an HH or HS model. They have the versatility of which Bongos are known.

Now, if you know you want a single-H Bongo and love the features (the body looks to be something other than basswood) and aesthetics of this one, the PDN basses don’t come around very often.

ComicBass, Pet Sounds and Obese Chess like this.
  16. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    The price does seem high. It's a stunning bass. But, typically, used instruments go for closer to 50% of their new price. I would think a 2015 Bongo, even in mint condition, would be closer to $1200-1300, maybe $1500 for an exceptional/rare one.

Seems you don't see too many with a maple neck, or a burst finish like eastcosteddie mentioned. Maybe someone more proficient in Bongos specifically can chime in if there's anything about this bass that warrants extremely high used price, other than just "pretty."

ComicBass likes this.
  17. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    The 2015 PDN bongos are alder, not basswood. This is a very pretty bass, a single H (no longer made), has the maple
    fretboard, non-matched headstock and a beautiful Birdseye in the neck wood. The non matched headstock will help hide the headstock chips these basses are infamous for. Also it has the Hipshot BT-13 detuner. You’re not going to find a stock Bongo exactly like this one. However I think it’s significantly overpriced for what it is. You could find a single H Bongo for many hundreds less dollars if you wait and watch the used market and are ready to pounce on it. Buy a BT-13 detuner and you’re in business. The only variable is whether the body and fretboard woods impart a significant tone difference, but without playing it there’s no way to know if that’s the case or put a value on it if it is. If it were me I’d be tempted but would probably wind up just drooling over it a little and then wait for another less expensive Bongo H.

18. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    when it comes to Bongos i prefer solid colours and dark fretboards. but otherwise it´s a great bass!

ComicBass likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Ask your husband to get you two of those so that everytime he sees them together on their stands he can say "look at those Bongos!":woot:

ComicBass and SunByrne like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021