1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I might have found the one I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
  2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Do you like how it sounds?

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    that depends on what you want it to do...

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Is she a Blonde or a Red Head?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What will be required of the amp? 50 watts ain't much to work with, short of bedroom practice.

6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    or reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally small gigs.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've been keeping a eye peeled for a cracker jack box amp too, and been trying out those Acoustic combos. They sound pretty good for very low volume stuff.
    I hate draggin my tube stuff over to the singers' house and down into the basement for just vocal practice with an acoustic guitar (no other amps).

8. Stacknobuser

Stacknobuser

Nov 11, 2007
    Actually, just to be clear, this model is designed for acoustic-electric bass and is a great amp for small coffeehouse type gigs.

However, the combination 1/4" XLR jacks are on the inputs, not the output. You can plug a mic in to this amp in combination with an acoustic or electric instrument and there are two separate level controls, one for each input.

There is not, however an XLR output. Hope this helps.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played arenas with 25w. Had a great PA to mic it through, though ;)

10. My AB50 has worked great for me as a practice amp with my upright guitarrón. I have no doubt that it would do fine in a small venue, although I'd not be working with a rock drummer.

As mentioned above, it has no XLR output jack, if that's important to you. But it does have a 1/4" output jack. Also, I find its 1/8" input jack very nice for playing with play-alongs. As first I wondered if, being a bass combo, it would reproduce the highs from the ride cymbal, piano, soloists and vocalists well-enough to enjoy using play-alongs, but there is absolutely no problem there at all.

I like the tilt back, which makes it easy to monitor. It also feels sturdy as a rock.