Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I miss Course of Empire.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Why is it that so many cool bands like Course of Empire almost make it? These guys were awesome, and they got screwed over by Zoo Records (the label Tool was on in the beginning) and Clear Channel (when they bought Q102 and fired Redbeard, who had been a legendary DJ in Dallas and was responsible for breaking alot of bands).

COE had an original sound, and I think combined art and asskicking better than most bands around. They had two drummers long before Slipknot was around, had singing over noisy metal riffage before Tool was big, and combined metal with arabic sounding riffs long before System of a Down. The bassist had a very interesting tone, and experimented with alot of interesting distortions and effects. They were one of the few bands I wouldn't mind joining if they called.

And once again, corporate greed and mis-management practically destroyed them. They weren't allowed to release or even record a new album for 5 years, and then they were dropped as soon as they released their last album (which was KILLER) when Zoo went under. Pooey. I don't know why I am talking about this - I guess I just miss this cool band, and wish they had gone alot farther than they had. If any of you get a chance to pick up one of their CDs, do it! (most of them can be found pretty cheap in the used sections, unfortunately)

Does anybody else here know what I am talking about?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I know the situation you describe well enough, but I've never heard of the band.

If they're as badass as you say (and your other band recommendations have been spot on), I should go check them out.

Do you know if they're still kicking around at all?

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Best thing about places like cdbaby and the net in general IMO. --Partial salve for the rash of corporate pigishness.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope. Unfotunately, due to all the crap surrounding them, they disbanded in '98.

There's some history of the band and some live mp3s on www.courseofempire.com

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Huh, never heard of them. Listening to the mp3 of "Fields of Discipline" now - digging it.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I just listened to the rare/live tracks they had on the site. They are ok, but not really representative of what they are really like.

Songs like New Maps, Hiss, Breed, Invertabrate, Minions, and The Information are pretty good representations of their sound, methinks. Since they are out of print, I guess it would be ok (legally and morally) to download their first two CDs, perhaps? :confused:

7. I got a cd single of the "Let's Have A War" cover.

I love FEAR.