Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I miss nu-metal :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gsys, Jan 21, 2006.

1. All this emo and hardcore stuff with the all the ritualism and rigidity of a style but none of the development, musicality, or fundamental emotional movement that music otta have - it makes me yearn for the turn of the millenium. I'm nostalgic for the likes of Disturbed and Korn with the backwards R, because at least that stuff had some groove to it. Perhaps it's the way stale bread and foul water tastes so sweet to a starving person. It feels like entering into a desert wasteland. Good thing my radio has an off button. End rant.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Just because music isn't on the radio or recent doesn't mean it stops existing.

Older bands are still there, listen to their stuff if you want development and musicality.

3. So, start a nu-metal band?

4. Maybe, but that’s a little like watching reruns, although if I haven’t seen it, I guess it’s new to me, eh?

Now THIS is the suggestion I was looking for. I’ll play the low-slung, down-tuned 5-string. Now I just need a drummer, a guitarist, a turntablist, and somebody to do the cookie monster vocals. Oh yeah!

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...what exactly is Nu Metal? Are we talking Drop D or lower tuning. No guitar solos...just power chords chugging through till the end. Obviousl as you say Korn and disturbed. How about Mudvayne, Godsmack (however they have solos), etc.???

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I hadn't even noticed that Nu Metal had left the room.

My bad.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Disturbed just put out a new album a few months ago. I've herd some of it. Honestly I liked what I herd.

The emo/hardcore thing. I would normaly just say ignore it but all my friends are into it now. So I can't go anywhere with out listening or hearing about that crap.
    They tell me "Oh my music is more artistic and has more soul then your music" "Mainstream music just thinks of words that rythem. Not words that means anything" "You just follow other people listening to main stream music"

"Black Label Society is wussy metal music" At that point. I punch that friend in the chest and say "Was that wussy metal music you punk"

8. After this, did you opt for the "That's right, I keep it real!" or the "That's how I roll"?

9. Ehh, nu-metal sounds too much like rap to me. >_>:bag:

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    "Ah why did you punch me?"

"because thats how I roll":bassist:

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Id take Korn over Hawthorne Heights any day of the week. Hell, Korn is music I could force myself to get into. Hawthorne Heights would make me force myself not to shoot... myself.

Deftones are here to stay, people

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Is your friend on Crack?
    I really love Zakk Wylde's stuff, but I wish he would do another P&G or Book of Shadows album. Those are my favorite two CD's he has put out.

Anyway I thought all the Nu-Metal has turned into this whole Cookie Monster thing. What is really bad tho is I heard that some of those guys can actually play. Maybe that's why I have really gotten into the whole Country/Southern Rock thing. This is how my thing has went----

When I got Back into music again---Ozzy Osbourne-which led me to Zakk Wylde(BLS to P&G) which led me listing to more Lynyrd Skynyrd(and other Southern rock and country)to Gov't Mule which led me to George Porter Jr.
    It's not exact but it's kind off how it happen anyway.

I don't get any of this hordcore or emo crap i guess I'm just to old. There is never any real melody to the music all songs are made less then three min. long they all sound like they are butchering one chord. Which really sucks because they all have killer gear.

What is the point of having a '64 to '74 P or J bass and putting it threw distortion and all kinds of other effects for? Hell you can get that same crapy tone with a first act guitar or bass.

You just need to stop watching VH1 and MTV for music. All the host are all really square now anyway.:D

13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    That's what emo is supposed to do, right?

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Metal :ninja:

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    They suck so bad that I would rather kill myself than listen to their Thursday-wannabe audiosuckitude

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Moral of the story people:

Promise Ring good. Hawthorne Heights bad.
    Texas is the Reason good. Good Charlotte bad.
    Thursday good. My Chemical Romance bad.

I could go on.

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Eh, nu-metal, emo, hardcore.....no matter how you polish these turds they're still gonna be turds.

There is good modern metal out there Gsys. You're just not gonna find it on TV or radio. Look on the internet and you'll find plenty of great bands. Europe has especially been creating some great metal for the past several years. And no, it's not all sleep inducing overused blast beats and indecipherable vocals.

18. Modern "hardcore" is crap; nu-metal is just as bad. There's plenty of much better alternatives if you look at more than what's on the radio and television (and even Bloc Party is on MTV every once in a while).

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    POD has a new album out :D

20. Go on MySpace.

It's full of nu-metal. ;)