I Miss the weekly P bass or Jazz bass thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VWbug, Nov 2, 2011.

1. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    :D

2. i actually made a blog thingy on tumblr on how much i love my jazz bass

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I still want to know
    What is worse,
    Putting a Jazz neck on a P Bass or
    putting a P neck on a Jazz bass?

4. depends. ive tryed both and the jazz on p felt right to me.

5. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Personal preference sir.

6. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Santa Monica
    Please let's keep talking about this, because I have lot's of feelings about my P bass and no outlet to express them.

If I start talking about how good my E string sounded on a song my band played last night,
    or how much I appreciate how good the neck feels, my civilian friends just stare at me.

I need to get these feelings out.......regularly.

7. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Put a J neck on a P and add the bridge pickup from a Thunderbird - that's my recipe.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Something I've wondered about. (I'm sure this will lead to some "lively" discussion).

I'm not looking to buy, but with all of the P and J models out there, at what point can you really see/hear/feel the differance from say, an Affinity to a Classic Vibe to a Standard to a Deluxe?

I have a Squire Affinity P bass that I bought from a friend and I'm quite happy with it. But the only way I would know if something is truly better would be if I actually took it to a store and compared it with other models in differant price ranges.

I know that more expensive does not always equal better and what works for you is all that matters. Just wondering what the general concensus is where one notices where one is truly better and sounds better than the other.

9. The first American Standard Fender P bass I tried was/is still the best P bass I've ever played. No Squier or MIM Fender has compared to it.

In fact, no other P bass has compared to it. That one was special.

Too bad it was about $1200 too much for me at the time.

10. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Not always but I'd say at least 90% of the time an american standard jazz has better fret work, better hardware, better feel, etc than say a mexican standard jazz. Sound wise its pretty subjective and it depends on the player. All the squier classic vibe stuff is really impressive (better than most mim fenders IMO/IME) and when I play them and compare them to there american fender counter parts there is often only slight differences in the sound. To me its really a case by case thing. I happen to like my 08 american standard better than just about any other jazz bass i have ever played. Some of it could be that mine is a bit worn in or sentimental feelings, I don't know. But in general as you go up in price, you get a better bass. Maybe not always a better sounding bass but, the things I mentioned earlier in are generally better. I personally would like to play some U.S. laklands, any sadowsky, custom shop fenders, and others to see how some of those really fair against my 08 american jazz.

11. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Ha! Too Funny, but I can identify with that! Lol :cool:

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I put a RW P neck on my jazz bass.
    The first time I brought it to band practice after two songs the GP looked at my bass again and said I should always bring my new Precision bass. It just sounds better then my Jazz. :rollno:

13. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    You should start following me, I put up a new post almost every day concerning minute details of the 57RIp

14. I had an '06 American Jazz. I liked it well enough, but was not completely satisfied with the sound. Tried a different bridge, different pickups, but still not quite there.

Sold it and got an '11 American Standard Jazz, OH MAN! This is it! Now I can get that sweet John-Paul-Jones-live-from-Song-Remains-the-Same sound in my head.:bassist:

I've had it for over two months now and I love my new Jazz bass!

15. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    I'm making a Franken-P out of a Slammer by Hamer body and a bunch of aftermarket/replacement parts. I'll have pics and maybe a thread in January.

16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Love my Ps although one is a Jazz Special so its really a P with a jazz neck

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Why? A good percentage of great basses dont use J or P pups. They use soapbar or humbucker pups. I'm continually amazed at how many people think theres no such thing as basses that arent J or P pup equipted.

18. econnofoot

econnofoot

Nov 24, 2006
    south carolina
    Personally when it comes to playing a lot, like hours..I like Jazz neck. But My P is stock and I'd never consider switching it...it'd change how I attacked that bass.

19. Just strung my Squier Standard Precision V (passive Jazz electronics, 5-string) with some old D'Addario Nickel rounds I've had for a while, removing the D'Addario Chromes that I'd had on it. Played it for a while, and I'm leaning more towards the Jazz sound now as opposed to my Squier Affinity P. I love (hate) choices!

:bassist:

20. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    My P-plus is in the shop for a pickup swap and I'm in the process of getting a fretless Jazz custom made, so I'm really anxious and those threads help to alleviate my feelings :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021