1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I modified my Ric! Whattaya think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    So I bought this beauty from Coolcow666 a week-r-two ago. Maybe three weeks, I get busy and lose track of that stuff.
    She's a beauty for sure! 2006 Amber Fireglo...

DSCN0763.
    DSCN0769.

One sexy beast! But then I saw a pic of John Turrner's doubleneck Ric 4080. Wow!! An original Fireglo also with the white binding (naturally yellowed) but it has a black pickguard and truss rod cover. As if the doubleneck wasn't already off the hook, the black trim made me gasp.

Next day I ordered up a black pickguard from PickGuardian, and the standard pickup mounting ring so I can have the cover off of the bridge pickup without a gaping hole for my thumb to fall into while playing, lol.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I stuck the Hipshot bridge on there too. I bought that for my first Ric, but ended up not warming up to that one so well. The Hipshot feels nicer on my right hand while playing with a pic and I have a lot better control with palm muting and such with this setup. I wish it looked more like the Ricky, but at least it's not too bad.

DSCN0886.

I think the black guard sets off the AFG real nice and the mirrored pickup mount is a good substitute for the original chrome one. Looks a little funny to me, maybe because this is like a big plate on there where the original is more like a ring surrounding the pickup. Not real sure what to do about it, or if I want to. Maybe a black pickup mount, but then that may be too much black. Bah...

Now the real trick! Black pickguards go with black trussrod covers as far as i can tell. I haven't been able to find a pic yet where the plastic doesn't match. You know you can't buy one of those covers? I hadda get sneaky and make mah own dam cover! Well I like to make stuff so that's not so bad I suppose...

Aaaannnd, here's the whole package!

SittingPretty.
    DSCN0891.
    DSCN0894.

Now don't be asking for trussrod covers, I'm not making them for sale!! Only this one for myself :smug:

2. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    WOW! That is stunning! Very sharp bass.

You have now gave me Ric gas. :bawl:

3. that thing is nice,but now i want one:bawl:

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    call me stupid, but I like the original look better..

But Im a firm supporter of modding anything to make it original to you or make you play it more..

So on that note good job with the upgrades.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love all the black, it's stunning, but I agree, the treb pup is TOO MUCH chrome. Looks a bit out of place. Nice job on the TRC though, overall I'd give you high marks. Maybe a black pup surround wouldn't be too much black?

6. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I think it looks great! Personally I'd have gone with a black guard to match the pickguard already there, but it's a pretty sharp looking bass, man. Enjoy!!:)

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

Thanks, and I hear ya. I wouldn't have done anything to this sweetheart that couldn't be put back with no damage. Somehow John's doubleneck with the black is STILL twice as sharp as my 4003mod. Ya think I can talk him into a trade? hehehe!

John, I GOTTA see more pics of that 4080. That thing just makes me melt =)

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I prefer it unmodified, but I can't deny that it looks very nice!

9. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I cant see it :(

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have an idea or four. Maybe if the small plate that sits on top were black instead of clear that would kill some of the excess chrome look. Or a chrome top plate with a black mount plate. Or a mirrored top late with a clear mounting plate?? Or maybe I can get my hands on some smoked mirror plex, that would tone down the whole chrome thing without going all black...

Anybody care to mess with some photochops for this?

11. same

12. I think you might need to reduce the size of the pix, or perhaps where they are being hosted sucks... even my fast cable modem is burping.

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Yeowch, sorry about that guys. Maybe my photobucket is choking.

I'll try changing them over to thumbnails, let me know if that helps.

I can't even get on Photobucket right now. Gonna have to wait a bit I guess and see if it comes back or what!

Guess it's ok now =)

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    +1 i wanna seeeeeee :(

15. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Anyone know of another good free pics hosting site? Might be time for me to kick the bucket!

16. The Bucket is what I use. You have PhotoShop? Size them down to 5 x 7 JPGS's and SAVE FOR WEB at 60%. They will look very nice and be real small.

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    WOW that looks hella nice wade! You're making me want to try doing this XD Except for the bridge guard :p

18. Droooooool.

Amazing.

19. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    dude that is one sic ric no joke that pickup ring deal looks awesome to me and how does that hipshot bridge work? does it effect the tone alot? and is it a brass or other metal

20. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Gotta say - Black pickguard with white binding is a no no. Pickguardian in white would be better IMO. I've had 4 rics. I just don't care for the fireglo. I had this one for maybe 2 weeks. Traded off.
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]