I Mother Earth

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 10, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I really wasn't sure which forum would be the best for this thread, so.....

I'm quite amazed by these guys. I bought their Dig album for a buck a few years ago while browsing used CD's. The song craft and musicianship blow me away. I then purchased Scenery and Fish a bit later. The songcraft was even better. It's a shame that these guys didn't get more recogition, because they seemed to be miles ahead of their peers. From what I understand, they had more albums, but they can only be imported from Canada.

Bruce Gordan is a great player, very funky but also tasteful. Not to compare players, but he reminds me of a "Modern Rock" version of John Paul Jones. I remember a TB member telling an anecdote in which he purchased an effects pedal off of Bruce and didn't even realize it was I Mother Earth's bassplayer until he got home.

What are your thoughts?
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've only heard "One More Astronaut", but I love it.
  3. Being in Canada, I've had "Scenery and Fish" for many years now and I still love it. Unfortunately their lead singer left after that album and I haven't been nearly as interested in them since.

Funny, two of my favorite bands - both Canadian, one named "I Mother Earth", the other "Our Lady Peace".
  4. Not to bring up an OLD thread, but everyone should give the last I Mother Earth album a second chance. Amazing production and musicianship. Progressive without being cheesy. In my opinion, their best album!
  5. jumbo_steelie

jumbo_steelie Supporting Member

The first album they did with the new singer (Brian Byrne) was pretty good too. I don't have it, but a buddy of my does and its got some killer tunes...
  6. Yeah, pretty much every album by them is awesome. Of course, it helps living in Canada as we don't have to import anything.

I even managed to snag 2 vinyl!
  7. I have Dig. The bassist is very good, but his slapping can be a bit distracting at times. I really like the guitar work. The only problem I have with the CD is that the vocalist and songs can sound kinda droney after a while.

I'd buy it again for a buck... wouldn't pay full price though.
  8. Quicksilver Meat Dream is a freaking fantastic album. I really like it--it's dark and heavy in all the right places, and melodic in others. The band took a turn for the better when Edwin left, imo. :bag:
  9. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Scenery and Fish is a brilliant album, IMO. The non-singles are the best part of it, if you can believe it. The second to last track, "Sense of Henry" is amazing.

I really think that their bassist, on an unconscious level, inspired me to pick up the instrument.
  10. I'll second that although I do enjoy their work with Edwin.

If you think his playing is a bit too busy then you'd probably really appreciate their last album 'The Quicksilver Meat Dream'. The production on the album is phenomenal, and it's very progressive without being too busy.