1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I must be a very bad person...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bholder, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And you're busy driving the wedge in further. Once I got to Professor Ponytail, I knew the word snowflake was going to come up at some point. I don't think starting out by calling people names is how you get people to start listening to each other. It certainly got me to completely ignore the rest of your post, which is the opposite of what you think we should accomplish.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Well, OK then twofingers. Snowflake punks vs. blowhards. It sounds like big time wrasslin'.

Immigrant, DiabolusInMusic and GregC like this.
  3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    @two fingers, i can appreciate how you don't mind discussing, arguing, or listening to others views on things ... your call-it like-ya see-it style is even endearing at times.

Regardless of all that, I'd have flung the poop myself when i learned how he & his former company raised he price of that Aids drug from $13.50 to $750 per pill as soon as they purchased the rights to it. What happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%. I haven't heard once that he was remorseful, or has changed his ways. Like a previous poster said, he's lucky getting (allegedly) S-faced is the worst thing that's happened to him so far.

4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    context imbues meaning. style matters. less than substance, i'd gladly agree; but not to the point of style having no meaning at all.

Immigrant likes this.
  5. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    While I mostly agree with what you said, the sensitivity that you are demonstrating is a big part of the current problem in our country. "Professor ponytail" is not exactly a vitriolic or mean attack anywhere near on par with flinging poop, stereotypical and insensitive maybe, but for something that innocent to trigger you to become opposed to being open to any discussion is not very productive either. Edit: grammar

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Lobster11 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Your "substance" includes childish name-calling. That is not at all how one presents a constructive argument. It is almost comical that you seem to think that is an appropriate response to a discussion over childish behaviour by some college kids. I do not see the point in engaging in a debate if it isn't an intellectual one. I don't have time for real-life name-calling let alone internet name-calling.

Since you are so good "educating" people, I have to ask, when is the last time you spent a day on a college campus? I suggest you should actually speak with some students (or "snowflakes") and some professors about the effects of a "safe space" on campus and how it has possibly impacted their daily lives or teaching methods instead of getting your information directly from the media. I am on campus every day and I have never once heard of an academic discussion being stopped because people were hearing ideas they disagreed with. The notion of such a thing is absurd. The only time I have heard of a discussion being stopped is when a student compared current environmental practices to "raping the Earth". If you honestly think speech like that has a place in academic discussion you have not engaged in much academic discussion.

7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What sensitivity? I didn't say anything was vitriolic, mean or on par with literal fecal flinging. I'm not offended, hurt, angry or otherwise put out by the comments. I'm just pointing out why such language serves to limit engagement. If someone starts a conversation with a distinct lack of respect to others, I have no reason to engage in the conversation. My experience has repeatedly shown that a conversation which begins without respect is one which continues without respect, and concludes without respect. Why would I choose to participate in such an endeavor?

We could talk about why you feel so triggered by my comments... But that, of course, would be ridiculous.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I never mentioned you. If you didn't protest a speaker until that speaker was canceled you don't exactly qualify, now do you? I never once said ANYONE ASSOCIATED with ANY college campus falls into ANY ONE category. YOu assumed a generalization that wasn't there. If you are looking for someone to offend you, look elsewhere. I have neither the time nor the inclination.

Some quickly searched canceled speakers due to student and/or faculty protest.

Ben Shapiro - California State
    Anita Alvarez - University of Chicago
    Emily Wong - Hampshire College
    Jason Riley - Virginia Tech
    Suzanne Venker - Williams College
    Condoleezza Rice - Rutgers
    Christine Lagarde - Smith's College
    Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Brandel's University
    Bob Kerry - Marist College
    Henry Kissinger - University of Texas Austin
    Ann Coulter - Cornell
    Georgoe W. Bush - Yale
    Carly Fiorina - Stanford
    Lynne Stewrat - Stanford Law
    Jeff Sessions - Alabama Huntsville

5 minute Google search of speakers that were canceled because of staff or student protests over opposing views. Some are from each political direction. This is not a one-way problem.

Notre Dame was going to have both John Boehner AND Biden speak at the same commencement but protests got them both disinvited.

FIRE is a group that has been tracking disinvited speakers on college campuses since 2000. I guess they formed a group because it never happens. They must be hunting unicorns.

YOU may not have been involved in any protests that got a speaker banned. So YOU weren't anyone I was referring to.

Relax, will ya? Nobody is picking a fight with you. Have a latte' and chill.

While we're at it, which end of the college spectrum are you on? Teacher? Student? Admin?

9. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    The sensitivity that caused you to stop reading one sentence in.

Your accusing TF of "driving the wedge in further" equates the two actions.

You stopped reading one sentence in.

Well said. Look we're all human and all sensitive to different degrees, I wasn't accusing you of actually being a "snowflake" I was simply pointing out your disengagement as an example of part of the problem, apologies if I offended.

Do I detect condescension (aka disrespect)? Or am I just being sensitive? :D

5-4-3-2...

10. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Only if you think that when I say, "I had to run to catch the bus", I'm equating myself to a marathoner.

There are plenty of people I can (and do) have respectful conversation with on contentious subjects. Everyone's free time is limited. If someone is offering a conversation filled with name calling (however benign) and disrespect, I'll take a pass. I can find someone else who can offer that same conversation without the negatives.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA

ShredderMaximus likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.