I Must Be Crazy! - '78 Jazz MUST SEE!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

NO TRADES!!!!!!!!!

Call me crazy on this one.... I bought this baby a few months ago from a TBer. Bass looked good and played well, but I really didn't like the color (was a burgundy refinish), so I had her fully stripped down, sanded, primed and refinished in Lake Placid Blue (nitro).

The fret board had a minor, small thin crack between the first fret inlay and the nut and I had one of the best luthiers in Maryland (IMHO) do a pro repair (take out the inlay, off the nut and the truss end and he did it right). A new nut was put on as well. Aside from the small repair (which is 100% sound and has no negative effect on anything functionally), the neck is in AMAZING shape. Original frets have little wear, neck is striaght, finish on back of neck has no wear, etc, etc. Tuners are also in amazing shape and turn very smoothly. As with most 70's Fenders, the neck pocket has a bit of a gap, but the joint is solid and I've had no tuning issues, etc, and the tone reverberates nicely through the whole body even unplugged, so it's good to go as far as I'm concerned. Luthier's name is Ron Carney and he is well known around these parts.

Bass received a full setup from Ron and a brand new set of DR Hi Beams are on her. Plays and sounds AWESOME (really)!!! I also found and bought an original 1978 Fender Jazz hardshell case in crazy excellent condition (worth prob $200 - $300 alone).

In addition to the parts on the bass, I also have the original bridge, bridge cover and passive control plate (wired with new CTS pots and proper vintage spec cap). The bridge is not pictured below, but I have it and it comes with the bass.

The refin is not perfect. It looks great from 2 feet+ away, but up close you can see a few imperfections. It's mostly the sanding and where the texture of the ash grain comes through a bit and is a little wavy in a couple spots. No runs or drips and the finish is even.

Weight is very light for a 70's ash Fender bass. Sits in @ 9 lbs even according to my postal scale.

So what will I let her go for? Just $1375 w/o the Audere and $1499 with it. The passive control plate comes with the bass either way. I recommend you get it with the Audere as in "flat" mode it sounds just like it does passive but when you need to change tones for a certain song, you can in a couple twists or a flick of a switch. Makes the bass soooo much more versatile.

NO TRADES and I'm FIRM on the price. If I don't get this price (which should not be a problem), I'll just keep her. Reason why I am selling? It's fairly redundant to my F bass in tone (not exact but in the same ball park) and I just picked up a Sabre which I'm in love with. Bass needs NOTHING! Just setup and has new string, battery, etc.

Payment methods: Money Order (USPS), Cashiers Check, Personal Check (will wait to clear before shipping), Paypal (eCheck option strongly preferred) and good old green (cash).

Specs:
    '78 Jazz (original body, neck, tuners) w body stripped and refinished to Lake Placid Blue
    Jason Lollar Custom Wound pickups with pole radius matching neck radius (for even tone across strings)
    Audere pre-amp (3 band)
    Leo Quann Bad Ass II
    Vintage yellowed guard
    DR High Beams
    Still have original Bridge, bridge cover and control plate
    Bought 70's Fender hardshell case from same era (in excellent shape)

DSCF0333.gif

DSCF0335.gif

DSCF0338.gif

DSCF0344.gif

DSCF0347.gif

DSCF0351.gif

DSCF0357.gif

DSCF0361.gif

DSCF0332.gif

2. Quad,...I seriously don't know what to say. I'm going to go back into my bed, curl up, and hope this posting was just a bad dream. :smug:

Greatest. Deal. Ever.

3. [really]
    You want the P in my avatar.
    You like trades.
    [:cool:]

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    somebody buy this!! I may end up divorced!! ... or at least sleeping with the bass. Great deal on a great bass from a great TBer!! What's not to like

Free Bump

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    PMed

6. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    PM'd

7. Quadzilla

Going, going........

8. Quadzilla

and (probably) gone to Lesfunk (pending clearing of eCheck)! :bawl:

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Oh It's definitely Gone Brotha!!!!!! On a Delivery truck straight to ma house!!!!!

10. 2minkey

2minkey

Apr 23, 2006
    seattle
    oh i woulda bought this one... if only i hadn't been on a plane most of the day...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021