Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I must be crazy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well $200 for any bass couldnt too bad a deal unless its too broken to play lol.

3. dude, is it just me or do i not see any battery compartment? is it under the controls? i know it said it was upgraded to an active system, but i see no battery compartment. am i wrong?

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My experience with Fernandez instruments is that they are low-quality. Only played an old guitar with a locking trem, though.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Probably under the control plate.

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's been a while since I cracked open a J control plate-is there room enough for a battery?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hear Fernandez's arent bad.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    From what I have read, I would expect them to be about like a MIM Fender. If the pickups are indeed Ken Smith I should be ok. If the pickups are not active (but still Ken Smith) I should be alright. Disappointed, but alright.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Depends on who made it. With the pots being shallow depth, and a deep control cavity, probably so.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got a five string Fernandez jazz and it's terrific. I've got other much more expensive stuff and it's pretty great in my book. I think you'll like it.

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The seller just emailed me. He says the battery is under the control plate.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Point for me!

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am no expert on basses but it looks pretty sweet. Look at this way, if you really don't like i...relist and sell!!

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It may be fun. It has that Jaco relic'd vibe.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You got a decent deal- Fernandes makes a pretty decent bass. The bare screws look nasty, so it would probably better to throw on a black or tort pickguard.

16. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got this bass in today. It does have some battle scars, but I was expecting that. I opened the control plate and put a fresh battery in. With old strings this bass has a very punchy P-Bass quality, and plays very well. There is something very odd not mentioned in the ad. In the photo, there appears to be some kind of brass grounding strip (note the pry marks around the pickup.) I have never seen that done, and will more than likely change that out. Anyone ever see that done? While it ain't pretty it does what it should-play and sound good.

17. Is that exposed, or under the finish? If it's exposed, it's a fairly common after-market mod when the electronics aren't properly grounded to the bridge. I don't think companies ever do it like that out of the factory. I'm sure you could modify it (or have it modified by someone) so that the grounding wire is properly hidden.

18. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It is exposed.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The jaco pastorious bass has that.

20. Stinky - That's the way Fender did it on the early Jazzes. Both of my MIJITSO 62 Reissues have it as do the real accurate reissues by Fender USA. Take a look at a real 62 stack knob and you'll find that same thing.