Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I must be deaf

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nazman, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I am a guitar player playing bass in a band..I come here to try and learn more about it..I hear ya'll talk about distortion on bass..I swear I have only heard a few rock songs that have distortion..
    Motorhead-ace of spades
    Judas Priest-revolution
    and of course pulling teeth

I see all these patches for my new BP200 ..some of them say "here is distorted sound for rauncy rock "
    I have heard lots of raunchy rock and never heard the bass distorted..whats up with this?

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    There are a ton of older recording that would overdrive an Ampeg tube amp naturally to get distortion.

Also, listen to Geddy Lee, Flea Rage Against the Machine...I can go on and on. Some of it is very subtle- like the final touch. Other is pretty in your face.

Ted

3. You'd be surprised how much of rock music has a distorted or overdriven bass. Oftentimes there is part of the dry signal mixed in as well to keep the low-end intact. It sounds very different from guitar distortion in many ways and distorted bass can oftentimes get buried in the mix so you might not even realize the bass is distorted(god, I need to work on my english).

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    There's more than rock. Get into more electronica and bass is constantly distorted/filtered/synthed etc.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Check out Joni Mitchell's "Shadows and Light" dvd and you'll get an earful of Jaco w/distortion on his solo piece.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out King's X too. On the earlier albums(Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen goes to Nebraska) you will hear 12 string bass through overdrive, and some 4 string as well. On the newer albums(Dogman, Black Like Sunday, Manic Moonlight) you will hear 4 string P bass through a Traynor driven to full out distortion.

7. If you listen to Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire and specificaly "Calm like a Bomb" You will here a clean bass part with a second one through Synth and OD. He runs two channnels at the same time to get this effect I think. I don't know if it's only in the studio or if this carried over to live performances... but it is a very nice effect. It really fills in the void when the only guitar drops out of rythm and hits the lead and or fills. I think fills may be more appropriate for Morello's style! :D

8. Listen to cream...if Jack Bruce playing thru a stack of Marshalls isn't a distorted sound I don't know what is.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Listen to The Who, especially live. John Entwistle used lots of overdrive live, but he used a clean amp for his lows. The overdrive is most prominent when he's using a pick, more subtle when he used fingers.

10. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Primus.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Black Sabbath and Clutch

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    stings little wing cover has a nice distortion thingy

13. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Also depends on how MUCH distortion you mean.

Virtually all of Cheap Trick, all of The Who has SOME bass distortion in the sound.