1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I must be getting old...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheApostlePaul, Jan 4, 2007.

1. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    When I was younger it was all about fancy basslines with tons of fills. Now it seems that what is important is playing the right notes in the right place. Part of doing that is using a pick (egads!) and playing right over the pickup on my P-bass.

I'm just not interested in proving to everyone that I have chops anymore.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Say what?

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yep, the perspective you get with age and experience is wonderful.

Chops is about learning how to play bass.

Throwing the chops away is about learning how to play music.

There's a time and place for everything but it's not nearly as often as most of us would like it to be.
    imho

4. user101

user101

Oct 15, 2006
    i use my chops to impress beginners. I love the facial expressions they make :smug: .

But when it comes to the band, those chops have to go. I must admit, most of the time, they are useless.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Oh okay. I get the OP's context now.

He is in the same shoes as I am in. No one knows I am on stage unless I play a wrong note.

:spit:

6. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    Or if you weren't there. Sure the guitar is important but without the bass it just wouldn't be the same.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    These days when I do stuff where flashiness wont add anything, I use my sneakiness to play simple stuff with the right feel.