1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a 0-400ms delay with expression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Jan 3, 2012.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I posted this question before but didn't get to much response and am still looking.
    I've tried a few different delay pedals and none of them get quite the sound I'm looking for.
    What I have now is a Boss ME 50B, I've been playing with the 0-400ms delay and if I turn up the feedback to about 70% I can play with the delay rate knob with my toe while I play. If I go back and forth between 0 and about 50% I get this really neat robot sound. At the higher settings I get a really quick delay and at the lower settings I get a high pitch vibration with lots of cool whoosh sounds in between.
    Problem is I'm using my toe and I can't balance when I stand up, especially if I try and use my wah at the same time.
    I can't seem to find a pedal that allows for this range of adjustment with an expression pedal. Tried the Memory boy and line 6 DL4 and they both allowed for a wide range of adjustment but wouldn't quite go to 0ms so there would still be a noticeable delay instead of just that high vibration, also tried the boss DD 7 and got the closest with that, I could get down to 0ms and get that high sound but couldn't go much higher so I could just change from a high pitch vibration to a slightly less high vibration.
    There's got to be a pedal that will let me do this but I'm thinking at this point it's out of my price range, but I would still like to know what it is so I know what I need to save.
    I'm at the point where I've thought about attempting to jimmy rig a wah pedal with some kind of pulley system that could adjust the knob on my current pedal! lol(no but seriously has anyone ever tried that? haha)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    YES!!!!! Thank you, this is the coolest thing ever and way cheaper then what I was looking to spend. Hells Yeah!

4. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So after doing some research on the 3rd hand the reviews seem kinda hit or miss as far as the reliability of the cable and the awkwardness of the placement. I'm not sure how well it will work for me since I would be adding it to a large multi effects pedal and the cable would have to cross over the built in wah(which I don't use much, but sometimes I use it as a volume pedal)I don't know if the cable would be long enough to do that.
    So with some more research I've found that It's not all that difficult to take apart a pedal and add a unit to allow it to be controlled by an expression pedal. This sounds like what I need, but I'm pretty bad at mechanical stuff like that and don't really have any of the right tools. I'm wondering what custom shops might be able to do this for me and how much it would cost.
    Bongomania, I also saw in another post that you might be able to do this.
    Or if there is any other option anyone here can recommend
    Thanks

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm not sure what I said before, but what I would do is remove the pot and replace it with a TRS jack. Then get an expression pedal with the same resistive value and taper as the pot. That second part might be tricky, if the pot to be replaced has an uncommon value.

6. Wow, such a simple solution that I never would of thought of.

7. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
  8. If it is uncommon, couldn't you replace the expression pedal's pot with the one taken from the delay?

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    you could try it, ive done a few expression mods. Usually the one taken from the delay doesnt work well in a pedal depending how much or how little range you want. 10K ohms is somewhat common on digital pedals, but i have used 20K and 50K to get the range i wanted with the pedal, sometimes putting set resistors to fine tune the bottom and top range of the expression pedal. The best solution is to make your own range control similar to older Boss expression pedals which had a second knob to adjust this.
    You need a dual pot, and on one side goes to upper range and the other pot wired in opposite direction goes to the lower range.

sounds confusing but its simple....even more simple is just to buy EH Deluxe Memory Boy.

here is a quote from the PDF manual

"EXPRESSION PEDAL CONTROL – The Deluxe Memory Boy allows external control over four of its parameters: modulation RATE, modulation DEPTH, FEEDBACK and DELAY time. Please see the EXP. PEDAL Jack section on the following page for suggestions on the type of expression pedals to use. The pedal will need to have a TRS plug. You may also use a control voltage between 0 V and 5 V."

dont know if your a synth head but having 0-5v voltage control is a awesome thing for analog synths, Also you could also use a midi converter to control this pedal with a sequencer or any other midi device. If you had a 0-5v analog midi converter.....thats another can of worms

*otherwise* your frustration in trying to hear and make an effect do what you want is a chance for failure. Effects do what they do. You cant expect them to magically do what you want and hear. You have to spend time with the effect and learn its behavior. Especially twisting away at delay times and feedback the signal is going to do what it wants and its up to you to learn how to control it over time.

10. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the advice on wiring something like this, the problem though is like I said, I suck at that kind of thing. I have no experience soldering and don't want to learn on my favorite pedal. I'm wondering if there is a custom shop you would recommend that I could send the pedal to and they could modify it for me.
    I tried the memory boy and my problem is that it doesn't go all the way down to 0ms so even at the fastest delay there is still an obvious delay. When it goes down to zero that delay turns to a faster and faster high pitch vibration, which is the effect I'm getting. I understand that I'm sure with practice I could figure out cool techniques with any of the delays with optional expression pedals, but I have already figured out the one I have and love the sound I have figured out how to control, I just don't want to have to use my toe.

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    The Boss DD-7 can be controlled with an expression pedal like a Moog EP-2....