I need a 12" or 15" driver for a 1.75 feet^3 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 22, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive got a nice empty cab built with MDF. Real solid. Id like to use it as a sub with my EBS 210 cab. The cab is 50 liters (or 1,75 feet^3 for you Americans refusin to use SI units ;) )
    The cab currently has a 12" hole in the baffle but a 15" can fit if I use my saw skills a bit. I wil tune in an SBB4 alignment for best transients.
    Which driver would you reckomend? I play only 4-string basses. :help:
  2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    How about one of the Eminence LF models. They're okay in smaller boxes...see what Avatar does with its SB112 cab, for example.
  3. BGavin has a link in his signature that will take you to his spreadsheet of speaker characteristics. That is probably your fastest and easiest way of producing a short list. Price and availability is not covered.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Delta 12 LF needs a 2,3 cubic feet enclosure to work best. I dont know how Avatar does that in such a small enlosure? :meh:

Yes, Ive got that. Great info there.

I might buy a 12" speaker from Aguilar and make my own GS112 cab. What do you guys think of that compared to an Eminence Omega 12? The Eminence is a better driver on paper but the Aguilar has gotten great reviews from many bassists. Oh, what to do? :confused:
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Avatar also sells raw speakers at a decent price. Might want to check them out.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Commercial cabs rarely if ever fit into standard speaker design alignments. There are a few reasons for this. Some manufacturers deliberately use small cabs to create a hump in the frequency response that they believe works better than flat. Eden use this method with good results. Most comercial cabs aim for a hum at 100HZ or so. Have you ever tried playing a Cd through a bass cab? Compare the sound to your HI-Fi or a PA cabinet and you'll hear what I mean.

More importantly, commercial cabs are often designed and produced with profit as the driving factor. People buy small 12" cabs, so avatar delivered one. Perhaps by chance Eminence were willing to give them a great deal on a bulk buy of Delta 12LF's. OK tha speaker isn't ideal for the cab but hey, It'll be cheap, and it'll work, and It'll make money........... and the prototype didn't suck....... I'm not having a go at Avatar here, other cab manufacturers have been known to work the same way. I always get suspicious of cab manufacturers when, for example, their 2x12 cab just happens to be the exact same size as their 18 - or was it just cheaper to keep the designs modular?

I've had my eye on the Omega 12. I like it (on paper). My guess is the Aggi will be warmer and rounder sounding, the Omega will have more of a punchy sound. I guess it comes down to personal preference but I prefer punchy speakers. Warmer ones cn get burried in the mix, especially live.

You may want to run the specs on the new 12HO. I haven't put it through it's paces yet, but there was a thread about it recently. Apparently the specs are very similar to the omega 12.