i need a 5 string bridge with *tight* spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 10, 2003.

1. ok, i have a fender mia jazz bass i got for free, long story short, i decided to heavily mod it, defretted, refinished, and now i want to convert it into a five string, i saw someone here with a similar thing but i dont remember who it was, but does anyone know where i can get a 5 string bridge with really tight string spacing? i also think the guy that did this had a special bridge that tuned the 5th string at the bridge so you dont have to drill another hole in the headstock, which would be great, but whatever, either would do :)
  2. WOOT that would be perfect!
  3. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    You'll also have to change the pickups, otherwise the A string will sound very dead. Standard 4-string pickups aren't designed to pickup a string that runs right down the middle.

Bartolini used to make a J set that was suitable for 5, or maybe a set of EMG j's (they have bar magnets, instead of pole pieces).

I really think you'll be dissapointed with the 4-5 conversion, especially on a J neck. The strings are going to be very close (especially at the nut) - probably closer than a lot of 6-string guitars, and remember, a bass low B (~130thou) is almost 3 times the size of a guitar low E (~50thou).
  4. You might try the Seymour Duncans as replacements. They don't have specific pole pieces and will carry 4's or 5's with their length.
  5. how the heck did you manage to get a free MIA?
  7. :ninja:
  8. ouch there's the suspense...

anyways....I don't think making your Jazz Bass into a 5 stringer will be so......comfy or even truly playable.