Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a 5 string wanna help me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loma, Nov 23, 2003.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    ive been playing 4 string for quite a while. i own a Fender Jazz Deluxe Mexi. 4 string. but i wanna get a 5 string, with active EQ, im not sure if i should get active pickups or passive, you can comment on which i should get also. but i really wanna know or get suggestions on what 5 string bass is should go after.

price range (up to $650)

THANKS!

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L L-2500 Tribute

Active PU's that you can switch to passive. Great bass

3. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    man thats more than $1300, i kinda wanted a 650 range. but thanks anyways

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

The Tribute is made in Korea. I got one for just under $600 and I love the thing. The USA model is in the price range that you said. Or close anyways.

If you do a search you will find a few threads on that bass.

5. Active EQ 5-string for under $650.00? I'd suggest an Ibanez BTB405. I have one and really like its variety of tone, playability, and visual appearance. You may hear negative remarks about Ibanez basses, but those of us that have BTB models will claim that the BTB's are way underrated. I've played others carrying five times the price tag that didn't play enough better to warrant spending more. There are several other brands in your price range, but this is the only one of them that I can give a first hand recommendation. I would not want to recommend any with which I didn't have first hand knowledge.

6. What kind of sound are you shooting for?

The cool Marcus Millerish j-bass sound?

The cool thumpy p-bass sound?

The cool quack of a Music Man?

The cool current / modern sound of a Lakland 55-02?

The cool current / modern sound of Nathan East's Yamaha?

The Fieldy clackity clack?

:confused: :)

7. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    jazz/rock sounds

i play lot of music from 311 incubus, and then some marcus miller. and i also like playing ska, with a pick.

8. How about a fender 5 string Jazz bass? My friend bought one a few years ago ... and he loves the thing to death. I've played it a few times, despite the fact that he likes playing it with the action cranked up to like 3/4" above the fretboard it was quite nice.

[/|\]

9. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
  10. Josh

Josh

Nov 23, 2003
    Canada
    jazz/rock sounds

i play lot of music from 311 incubus, and then some marcus miller. and i also like playing ska, with a pick.

a PICK??!?? a PICK!??!?!
    picks are for whimps!!!

I am having some problems with choosing a new five string bass as well check out my string NEW BASS and help me out!!!

11. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    well i dont like the fender cause its 34 inches, i want 35 inches. and usually u use a pick for ska, unles ur slapping

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I am currently mulling over two 35" scale basses, both highly rated: the Yamaha RBX775 and the Ibanez BTB405. They're both between 550 and 600 USD, depending on the vendor.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lakland Skyline 55-01

14. Me and my dirty, dirty mind ... :D

[/|\]

15. Actually, people who use multiple techniques (fingers, slap, double stops, maybe a bit of tapping, as well as pick playing) with competence and taste and groove, are much more valuable and vearsatile as bassists. People who toss comments like the one above, should open their minds and put a few more miles on their gig odometer.

16. if you can get 699 i would highly recommend lakland

17. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i want active electronics

thanks

18. Josh

Josh

Nov 23, 2003
    Canada
    Ya I know... I can't play with a pick. lol:meh:
    But I can play with fingers, slapping etc.
    The only song I can really play with a pick is some song by greenday and I don't like it so I have a negative connatation towards picks....
    meh

19. Josh

Josh

Nov 23, 2003
    Canada
    Also One of the basses I've been looking at is the BG-5 which is active and has EMG pickups.... Very very nice. Hope thats helpful Loma.

20. Josh

Josh

Nov 23, 2003
    Canada
    Yet another also... thanks for pointing that out bimp, but personally untill I advance through the next stage of bass playing I remain like "Flea" with my thumb and my fingers to continue bassin away.