Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a 7-string recommendation!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steelpulz, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I paly contemporary gospel mainly. I have a Yamaha RBX 765 thru a Samson SX1200 to a BMAX SS to an Avatar B212 ( and sometimes) a B410.

I am looking for a 7string tuned F#-C. I played a couple at Namm. They felt really good.

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Care to share a price range?

When in doubt-if you can find a Conklin GT7 [i have only played them in stores], is what i would go for if finances are a limit.

Take it easy.

3. Gospel needs that kind of rangE?

4. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I think it'd be sweet to have a low F# . . .

5. Like all options of strings, tuning, frets, etc. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION, for some styles it is, for others, it is not, end of story, I just don't personally see it being very applicable for gospel, then again, I am not a big fan of gospel.

6. Steelpulz didn't ask for anyone opinion on weather or not a 7 is appropriate in Gospel or not, frankly it doesn't matter, he can do whatever he wants to. However I can't really offer any advice in teh ERB department, I been searching high and low in Oz to find one but i just can't :crying:

Good Luck.

7. As has been said, it depends on your price range. The Conklin GT7 is a good bass but for more money you could get a Roscoe or a Ken Smith amongst othres.

If you wanted a European bass then try Sei bass in the UK [I have 2 Sei 7 stringers and love them] or from Germany, Ritter or Spain, Jerzy Drozd [sp] or France JP.

Any of these will do a wonderful job for you and most will get the sound you want because most are custom made and will use the pickups and pre-amp of your choice.

7 stringers are great fun so keep us informed of how you are getting on with plenty of pictures.

Regards

Matthew

OOPs missed out the bold on
    SEI bass,
    Ritter
    Jerzy Drozd
    JP

8. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Re: SANDMAN

A lot of the songs that I play are in Eb, Db, Bb. I notice that on many, many recordings, the bass player is playing Bb and Ab below the low B on my 5-stringer. I could drop tune, but I was thinking of getting a 6-string anyway, so I thought why not get some thing to get those commonly heard lows as well the notes available on the c-string. Hence, a 7-stringer.

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Steelpulz,

The only commercially available 7 is the Conklin GT7, which is no longer in production. They are available used, usually at least a few on the 'bay at any given time. Pricing has been rising as they become harder to locate, but they can be found in the $600-$800 range at times, if you're lucky.

Galveston makes a production 7, but it's not really very well made, IMO. On the other hand, they're only in the $600 range new .....

Other than those two, you'll need to go to a custom builder as previously discussed. FBB & Stambaugh are reasonably priced for custom work (both are extremely well constructed), probably in the $2000-$2500 range to start, but build times are at least 4 months for both of those guys. A little higher on the $$$ chain is Roscoe, Conklin and others mentioned above.

BTW, low F# is very cool ......... :cool:

10. Search on ebay for "7 string bass" - There's a couple of Roscoes there!!!

11. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Does anyone think I'll have any problem with the notes below the B string thru an Avatar B212 (Delta) and a B410?

12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Not sure about your amplification, but I've had troubles with the F# using my set up (Hartke 3500 thru a Hartke 410 or Eden D210XLT). The Eden handles the lows fine, but the head is too muddy. I've used a (borrowed) Acoustic Image Clarus with the Eden ..... that was clean as could be. I really need to get a different head than that Hartke ...... :rollno:

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    As of this very moment, GTBD-7s in Wine Red are shown as available new through Musician's Friend. Offer void any other minute than now. ;)

14. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    my instructor just got an upgraded 4-string bass that has teh original e-string tuned to F#. The strings are 3x thicker though. It sounds awesome

15. bassdawg96

bassdawg96

Dec 8, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    For the Money, I'd Go with the Roscoe.
    Just my 2cents.

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    There's currently two 7 string Roscoe's available that I know of. I can't comment on the playability of the Roscoe 3007's but if they're anything like the Roscoe 6 string basses, you'll love 'em. The Roscoe 6's are IMO the best playing out there! And of course they sound killer too!;)

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have to agree with Joe. I've never played a 7 string, but my Roscoe 6 string is killer. If the sevens are like the sixes (and I don't see why not), a Roscoe's the way to go.

There are a number of Gospel guys playing Roscoes too.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    check my sig for the 7 I just ordered.... 3 or 4 of my favorite 7+ stringers all play Bee Basses plus I spent some time email with Fred prior to my order and have found him to be a real cool guy. Chris Benavente makes a killer ERB as well... I'll be buried with my fretless 6.

F bass
    Roscoe
    Fodera
    Smith
    JP basses
    Ritter

are all things of Beauty too.

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Conklin's Groove Tools basses are VERY nice, especially for the money. You can find em for $600 easily.

DO NOT GO NEAR GALVESTON 7 STRINGERS.

If you have the cash, Roscoe or Stambaugh would be my custom choices.

20. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    what about a Noguera YC 7 ? these are really sweet basses !:hyper: