Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broncrider32, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    I just started in a band. Right now we have crappy equipment. The two guitarists are planning on buying themselves 200 watt Randall half stacks. I am needing information on what bass amp I would need to get in order to keep up. I'm am looking to spend around $500. Just don't know what I need.
    :bassist:

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You can't keep up, no matter what. Guitars can always blow you away in a volume contest. If you choose to play that game you will lose.

You are asking about what is the loudest you can get for $500, but say your current gear is "crappy". You can get "loud and crappy sounding" or you can get "good sounding and less loud" for $500. The solution is to have your guitar players turn down (good luck). If they want the mix to sound good, they will do that.

The loudest I can think of for $500 would be used Peavey stuff (like a 4x10 and a Mark III head). The formula I hear thrown around a lot is 8-10x the power of the guitar to break even on volume (so you only need 4,000 watts or so, a few 8x10 boxes and a truck to haul it).

3. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
  4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The head makes 125W @ 8 ohms and the cab is 8 ohms so I don't know how loud that would get.

It's pretty and reasonably priced.

What is it about your current rig that you want to improve on?

5. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    Right now I am playin on the schools amp and I don't have one. If you have any more suggestions let me know. Thanks:bassist:

6. I also advocate used gear. Most of the time you can find good/mint gear at half price.

7. I got a Mark VI amp from early nineties I think, under 150bucks. Pushes 400 watts at 2ohms.

People say those old Sunn heads from the 70's are very loud (like the coloseum) and have good tone.

Perhaps get one of those enourmous 4x15 inch Acoustic cabs from the seventies? :)
    They may be rather collectable now though.

Also, if you have an overdriven bass tone you will cut better - a lot people seem to over look this fact.

Seriously - aggressive distorted tone and some cheap monster 2x15 cabs from the 70's that no-one wants should have your guitarists begging you to turn down.

The cost to that strategy is the logistical problem of moving the cabs.

8. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    Is there a big difference between 4x10 cabs and 1x15 cabs.:bassist: