1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a bass head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konan888, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Howdy,

After 47 years of living without learning to play an instrument I finally got off my ass and started a road into something I love. I bought a Fender Squire Precision Bass, 1x15 Traynor Bass Cabinet and a Ampeg SVT210HE. I cannot yet afford the Ampeg SVTCL. Can any of you recommend a head I can use until I can afford the SVTCL?

Cheers!!

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Glad to see you playin'...
    Is there a price range your wanting to stay in on a head?
    Tube or S.S.?
    New or used?
    Power requirements?

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Welcome to the middle-aged joy of getting into music as a newbie. One of the decisions you (and I) ever made. My advice would be to either:

1)Get something solid and powerful but older, heavier and out of fashion like a used Peavey-this'll be the cheapest way to go.

or
    2)Get something that you'll want to keep and that can serve as a practice amp and be more portable than the CL after you get it, like a used GB Shuttle 60 or Markbass LM2-that'll run you around 400.

Knowing your budget and volume needs would help, as would posting the cabs you'll use.

4. I was considering the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. Best price so far is $600.00 used. I was also considering the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro. It is quite a bit more. The best I have seen is $1000.00 used. At this price I was thinking I should just save for the SVTCL. Problem is I need something now for practicing.

I also checked out the Traynor YBA 200.

5. I really enjoy Reggae Music so I guess I would have to say tube. Several people have told me to use a solid state for practice and when I get better go with a tube.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Opinions are like $$$holes-everybody's got one. Here's mine:
    Ampeg tube heads are great, but their SS fare is exceeded by much of the competition. There's a used GB Shuttle 6 in the classifieds now for 395. It's more powerful than the SVT 3 pro, also has a tube preamp, has headphones out for when your sweetie and/or kids are crashed, an aux in to hook up an iPod (or other source like computer, drum machine etc.) and it weighs about as much as a canteloupe and will fit in your gigbag. IMO there is always a use for something like this and it'll sell easily as well. You can use it for practice with phones and no cab, but it has enough power to gig with if you pair it with a decent 410, pair of 12s, etc. But it doesn't say Ampeg on it. Just my .02

7. You have already been recommended a used Peavey? Used Genz Benz, MarkBass, how about Gallien-Krueger 400rb. 800rb 700rb? Or are you stuck with the "Name Ampeg". Lots of great equipment out there, let your ears judge...not your eyes. Your ears have to be pleased or the "name" on the equipment means nothing. (Going on 44 years playing myself.)

8. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    SVT-3pro is pretty close to CL. It's very nice head, but way underrated here (don't know why).

Have you tried SVT 350 / 450H or B2R / B2RE ? They are the same amps, but in different casing. Not SVT's, but they are Ampegs all the way.

G-K RB 400 is also a great choice. Light, small, reliable. You'll need small amp later I think.

9. Your header doesn't say where you're located, but if you're any of the Music-go-Round stores - www.musicgoround.com - you might want to check them out. All the cost breaks of buying used but with a return policy. I've bought/sold/traded with the one here in GA with good results.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection to Music-go-Round other than as a customer.

10. Thanks B String. I have nothing to hear. I have no head. I need to get started with something. You guys are all awesome!! Thanks for the help. I got stuck on the Ampeg sound listening to Aston Family Man Barrett playing bass. It is a great Reggae sound. I am not stuck on Ampeg bit I do like the sound.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    How about the SvT450H with an Ampeg 410HE? :cool:

12. Thanks Mazdah. The SVT-3 Pro seems to be a good little practice head. It has tubes in what you guys call the pre (I think). It is affordable. There are some negative feeds on it so I have not done anything yet.

13. I just registered. I have not entered any details yet. I am located in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1...
    Another G.K. head that was just released may also be worth looking into.
    A G.K. MB-200.
    200 watts at 4 ohms.
    Weight...2 lbs.
    Musicians Friend had them listed at $249.00!

My stage amp is a G.K. MB2-500.
    The bigger brother of the 200...it weighs 3.8 lbs. and is 580 watts at 4 ohms
    The MB-500's list at $499.00 and IMHO sound incredible.

15. Hey Lomo,

Where? I am on the west coast in Canada.

16. Thanks again. I can't find a Ampeg SVT450H for under a grand. I checked for GK, Markbass and GB on Craigslist and with the local Long & Macquade. Nothing around right now.

17. I just found a used "Gallien Krueger 700 RB" for $350.00. What do you think?

18. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    If it's in reasonable condition, I think that's a fair price.
    Their a powerful, dependable, good sounding head.

19. I'd go with GK. I've been playing them exclusively for the past 5 years without any issue and the tone compliments my playing style perfectly.

20. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Get that Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 that's in the classified. I just got one and am deeply in love with the sound. Especially at that price!