Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by erikpetrucci, Sep 24, 2005.

1. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
    hey all,i need a bass player for some recordings,cover (dream theater) and originals (metal,prog metal,all genres).
    so i need a very good bass player,let me know.

ps.ah yeah,the recordings will be done online,its not important where u live and stuff.
  2. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    If the recordings are online, then why can't you just get your guitarist to lay down the bass. With shreddy guitar shiz like that, there's no room for much more than roots.

4. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
    hey man,i think u have misunderstood:
    1-i am the guitarist
    2-i dont have a bass and cant get one from one of my friends
    3-id like to have a bass player like it was a real member of a band,also if wer recording online
    4-thats not shreddy shiz,thats a Dream Theater song with a written bass line!a bassist simply learns and records it,like every other instrument... :eyebrow:
    the song in the sample is Metropolis part 1,and the bass parts in DT are not easy at all imho
  5. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Why are you making a recording of a cover song? What are you gonna do with it?
  6. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005

im recording some covers before starting to record originals.i think then wer gonna post all the tunes on some forums and stuff like that.
    i wanted to actually COMPLETE a cover tho,before thinkin and plannin what to do with it now,right? ;-)
    originals r another thing then,and i think all the project is cool :bassist:
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I believe you meant to say "are" where you said "r."

I have nothing else to ad.

PS: I can't play that song, I no longer have my 6 otherwise I'd give it a try.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hmmmm I could probably do it for you. Give me exact songs please! :)
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Are you familiar with this guy? www.bumblefoot.com

If not, me thinks you'll like him lots.
  10. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've done the "online band" thing. To be totally honest, it just doesn't work. sure, it's a good idea if you know the person really well, and you're able to meet up regularly for gigs and rehearsal's.

I guess it's a trust issue. In my situation, the other "online band members" started using the songs for other projects, without telling me about it.

I think you should try for a REAL bass player. Someone you can set down in the same room and work on songs together. Also, if you're looking for someone to play your basslines, I would say... start saving your $$$.

Best of luck.
  11. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Do you have a decent keyboard? For recording's sake, you could probably fake an acceptable bass tone from there...

Heck, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. About a year ago, I put together a CD of my praise team at church. At the time, we were without a drummer. That left us with:

Lead vocalist (me), 2 acoustic guitars, bass, pianist, and 4 background vocalists. For most of the tunes, we recorded everything but my voice straight to CD. I then took that CD home, ran it into my digital recording program, added drums, electric guitars, vocals, synths, and effects to taste.

One cut in particular needed a driving bass. Since bass was on the track with everything else, it wasn't as simple as just nudging up the virtual slider. No matter how I eq'd the track, I couldn't get the bass to cut through without destroying the rest of the track. Finally, I just went to a bass patch on my synth (I think it was some sort of slap bass or pick bass) and overdubbed the bass. Didn't take a lot of volume there to really push the bass to the top of the mix.

Haven't gotten a "hey, that's a synth bass" comment yet. And trust me, my church folks are NOT shy about their comments...

"That wah wah guitar sounds terrible... and it's too loud."
  12. Don't say things like that when you also have spelling mistakes.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

14. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
    thanks for the feedback.
    i intentionally wrote "r" instead of "are"...lol :)
  15. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
    well i fixed the link,it had expired
    erik ;-)
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's alright... there actually are no bassists here. This is a fishing forum.
  17. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    What? This isn't a fishing forum. This is a pediatric foot care forum.
  18. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I can't help you with Myung-caliber bass playing, but I just wanted to say 'sounds good', Erik.
  19. erikpetrucci

Apr 28, 2005
    ill take that as a compiment,thanks guys :p
    still waitin for feedback,
    comon doctors..erm..bassists!!
  20. Could you send me the full version of the guitars and drums? I'd like to record my bass over them for my own fun. I'm not that great, but I'd like to hear how it sounds. lol. Thanks.