1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a bass solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Vendele197, Sep 21, 2010.

1. So, quick question for those out there with extensive music libraries...

I need a bass solo for upright. My jury assignment for this semester is to find a bass solo that is two choruses long and at least 32 bars in length, transcribe that solo, and then perform it. I'm not exactly sure where to look to find songs with bass solos, so I thought I'd ask here. Any and all suggestions will be very helpful. Keep in mind that I am an undergraduate, so nothing too terribly ridiculous please. :)

Thanks.

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    you've used the Internets before, right?

sorry, just kidding.

All kinds of bass solos from great upright players are to be found everywhere. But for a shortcut - a lead for some good ideas, and a place to start - you might go to Youtube and do a search for Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus, Scott LaFaro, Rufus Reid, Christian McBride, Buster Williams, George Mraz, John Patitucci, Eddie Gomez, Eddie Gomez, Stanley Clarke, Brian Bromberg, and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen.

Tons of others - those are just a few. And for more info and leads to albums/recordings, look up those names at www.allmusic.com

3. Alright, thanks. Just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

4. Scott LaFaro w/ Bill Evans... your transcribing work has been done over and over. All you need to do is learn to play it right.

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Yes, but isn't the assignment to transcribe it himself & then play it (rather than just find a transcription)?

6. Yes, that's the assignment. I've chosen Minor Run-Down by Paul Chambers. Much thanks for the help.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021