I need a bass with a thick C shaped neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danham, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I think I may have found the solution to my hand pain. It is NOT my strap height or physical technique. It's the damn super thin neck on my EDA. I'm not talking about fretboard width, but the width of the neck viewed from the side. There's just nothing between my finger and thumb. I want a more C shaped neck so some of the neck will rest on my palm even with my thumb on the middle of the neck. I've become OK at doing what I call thumb rests (where I hang my thumb over the neck) but that does'nt cut it when the line calls for a lot of finger stretches.

This problem has become so bad that I'm probably going to have to trade in my beloved EDA(I'm through with Ibanez anyway). That really hurts but not as much as not being able to finish a song. :bawl:

Please name some basses with thick C shaped necks. Preferably 5-strings. I hear the Peavey T-40 and Fender Highway-1 Basses have C shaped necks.:bassist:
  2. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Mine :) I tend to like a thicker neck myself, not quite a bassball bat, but thicker and rounder with a slight flatness on the very back. It allows the hand to open up a little which helps prevent a cramp from ultra thin necks. I think my favorite production bass necks are spectors.
  3. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the peavey millennium 5 (discontinued made in USA version) has a fairly meaty neck, tho it probably isnt as meaty as youd like. you can find them on ebay almost all the time. i would suggest going to Guitar Center or somewhere around you and getting the feel of some of the necks. that would help a lot and tell you if it really is the thin neck that is the problem. hope this helps.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Alembic Epic may be one to check out.b
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

easy answer: fender american precision. big fat neck. at least to my little hands. and the t40 neck is about the same width.
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    G&L L-2500 nuff said
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need a Stingray.
  9. Warwicks have chunky C-shaped necks.

I swear by em, personally.
  10. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    The ones I have played I would say have more of a D shaped neck.
  11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ESP's have chunky necks too, much more the Fender P's in my opinion
  12. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the olp i played, if i remember correctly, had a nice C shaped neck. i didnt like it tho. the neck was ok, but the rest wasnt. it was modelled after the stingray, so id try a stingray.
  13. Thats your problem right there, poor technique, you need to be pivoting that thumb on the back of your neck.

Carol Kaye teaches one of the best techniques for bassist that I have ever had the pleasure of learning and it's guaranteed to keep you pain free. Go to Carol's site and ask her about your left hand technique.

Necks that are two thin can cause poor technique as well as a neck that is too thick.

Pivoting Up

Back View