Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a Beatnik Poem...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by johnm0187, Mar 31, 2005.

1. So I have to bring in a beatnik poem from the 1950s for history. I googled it and all I can find is poems from wanna-be-beatniks in the last 5 years. So if any of you know a beatnik writer from the 50s or know a beatnik poem from the 50s please post it.....

Stupid teachers make a project due a day before spring break :spit:

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac.

3. I love you...

I found exactly what I needed

THANKS

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Glad to be of service. :)

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    What, no nod to the ultimate beatnik..."Maynard G. Krebs"! :D

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You're from Marietta! Cool. I spent a week there earlier this month. I like that area.

-Mike

7. It sucks when you live here though....very boring...wish I was 18... :crying:

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Ginsberg wrote a poem called "Please Master" that lends itself well to a dramatic reading. Google it.

9. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Ginsberg seems to be the beat poet that pops up most in discussion. Glad you found what you needed.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Whither goest thou America, into the night
    Black ribbon highway streaming endless...

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I love Ginsberg.

12. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Yep, he's an interesting one. Not my personal favorite, but there's no denying his talent.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ooo, sorry. It's " ...black ribbon highway stretching endless..."

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ferlingetti

15. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    This is a very old thread. Just saying, you probably didn't find anything because you used the word 'beatnik'. If Kerouac and Ginsberg are beatniks I'll give you my left thumb. They despised the term. It was coined by some reporter to combine 'beat' with 'sputnik' because there were questions about their loyalty to their nation and communist ties etc.

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I don't think the OP has posted here for 2 years.

17. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Beatnik has definitely become part of the modern vernacular and doesn't quite mean the same thing anymore. I'm not surprised that the OP used the term, especially since OP was genuinely unacquainted with the subject.

My mom was a hippie buy never used that term. Her and her peers always referred to themselves as 'freaks'. The hippie term was also a product of the media from what I understand. You talk to her now tough, and she says 'hippie'.