1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a better amp.... Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Apr 14, 2015.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok, so right now I'm using a terrible little 10w guitar practice amp... I used it till I couldn't use it any longer...

I'm in the market for another amp, preferably a combo, mainly because I don't understand cabs and amps and things of that sort. I have a relatively small to medium practice space as well.

I was looking into the GK-MB210ii combo but I read in multiple reviews that it starts smoking out of nowhere. So I'm letting that take a back seat as I open up my possibilities.

I play a lot of headphone practice but also play out loud as well. I play some funk, rock, "pop" and some solo music.

Could you guys suggest a couple of good combos? As for my budget I would like to see what you all suggest and then see if it's possible financially.

I genuinely appreciate all the help you guys have to offer! Thanks!

2. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    The Ampeg Ba115 is a decent and fairly loud combo amp, and IMO a good place to start. They're solid and pretty ubiquitous. There's better out there, but probably not for $150-200 used. Good power for bars and rehearsals, moderately flexible eq, and a nice tilt-back feature.

3. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    While I don't care for their tone the Fender Rumble V3 amps are fairly popular and seem like a pretty good deal. Loud, light weight, and reasonably priced. For tone I much prefer the GK combos.

But if it were me I would go head/cab over a combo any day. For small/lighter duty get a GK MB200 head and a cab of your choosing (112, or 210 @ 8 ohms) then get another identical cab later and you have a modest stage rig.

4. I have not heard a lot of reports of G-K's "going up in smoke"? That would be the exception not the rule. There are a lot of these units out there and the last unit that was a troubled child from Mr Gallien he went to extreme expense to make users happy and stable.

7dollarbologna and KickingBass like this.
  5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
  6. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Atshen and shawshank72 like this.
  7. I found it at Musicians Friend. Two of them are from 2013 and one from this year. According to the reviews it all happened within warranty period, seems odd to me.
    No report of this anywhere else.
    Gallien-Krueger MB210-II 500W 2X10 Ultralight Bass Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

8. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    So would the GK MB200 head work with the GK CX 210 400watt bass cabinet?

Gallien-Krueger CX 210 400-Watt 2x10" Bass Cabinet | Sweetwater.com

I'm new to this whole amp/cab thing :D

Thank you!

9. Interesting, they have unit fail in warranty and one states "It will cost more to fix than a new unit"? It costs nothing to fix an in warranty unit! Very suspect.

10. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I have a personal GB Contour 500. If you can find one of those don't pay anymore than 349 as that was their close-out pricing. A heckuva bargain at that pricing. Where are you located?

11. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    One has to wonder exactly who posts these type reviews...

12. organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  13. It does make you wonder. I returned a BG250 210 for refund, it worked but I just didn't like the performance/sound. I did not write a review when asked as it may be just great for a different person. Anything I would have to say would just be inflammatory to fans of TCE.

14. In the negative reviews they often leave out that they hooked up their buddy's 4 Ohm cab and had all knobs at 10. :smug:
    I have gotten that out of some people complaining that a company's amp catches fire. It is usually user error.
    Op 3 in that length of time seems pretty good to me. They have the best customer service.

15. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Should I just straight up ask them?

And what cables would I need to get this thing going?

Thnx a lot!

16. Just call, tell them you're a talkbass member ask what discounts are available. Package deal with amp and cab helps. Check pricing (call or email request) with RMCAudiodirect.com as well.

The cable you need is a 4 pole, two conductor speakon cable like Pro Co S14NN3 Speakon-Speakon Speaker Cable - 3' | Sweetwater.com but honestly that price is still way high. I make my own for less than $10.

17. strictlybass_ic

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    The MB200 would work just fine with that cabinet. Also, it (the cabinet) is rated at 8 ohms which means down the line you could buy another one of those cabinets and have a modular 410 rig. That should be just enough to cover the typical bar gig depending on how loud you like to play.

Two things I will say about that cabinet...
    -There are less costly cabinets out there, and I would highly recommend you look into used cabinets if at all possible
    -That cabinet only has 1 speakon jack, and the MB200 ALSO only has 1 spekaon jack. So wiring a second cab into the mix would require you to have a 1/4" connector in there somewhere (not just plain speakon to speakon cables).
    -Looks like you would need 1x speakon-to-speakon cable and 1x 1/4"-to-speakon or 1/4"-to-1/4" cable (personally I like to use speakon wherever possible)

You do not have to get cabs from the same manufacturer, as long as you have the right cables they are pretty much universal.

Just call Sweetwater, tell them you're interested in the cab, ask if there's anything they can do on the price. If you can find it cheaper someplace else that helps too.
    -I'm going there in a couple hours to pick up my bass after getting a thorough workover by one of their techs. It's a great place and they do great work. :)

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  18. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Is having to use a 1/4" connector a bad thing?

19. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    So when you say "1/4" to SpeakOn" do you mean one like this?:
    Gotham 13 AWG Speaker Cable | SPK 2x2 & Neutrik Jumbo 1/4" TS to 2 Pole Speakon

Thanks!

20. strictlybass_ic

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    1/4" isn't inherently bad, but I much prefer speak on. They are much less likely to unplug accidentally and there isn't a short out and "pop" when you plug/unplug them with a live amp. Not an issue if you're careful but it does help protect amp and cab. Also, anyone will tell you that the very first thing a drunk bar goer does after accidentally pulling it out of the cabinet is to hastily put it back in. So you get 2 pops out of it.

And yes, that's the style of cable I've used in that scenario.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.