Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a bigger rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Jul 7, 2003.

1. hey hey

i play in a death metal three piece:bassist: . the drummer uses a double bass drum in his kit, but doesnt mic his kit up in practise, and the guitar player/vocalist uses a 300 watt amp with a 600 watt speaker (so he tells me) which also doesnt go through a PA in practise, the PA is only small and used for vocals...aproximately 100 watt i think

i only have a tiny 65watt marshall b65 bass amp, so far ive been going through the line out into the PA also so i can be heard...but even so im not heard much!

therefore ive decided its time i bought a bigger amp. problem is money is a bit of an issue so i cant go for a massive Ampeg rig like id love to.

im looking for an amp approximately 300watt...hopefully this will be enough. i dont understand much about amps, such as ohms and such...i just go for what i can afford at the biggest size...but the next amp i get ill have to keep for a long while so i thaught id ask for some advice :D

im currantly debating whether to go for another combo...but a good quality large one yet affordable such as the Laney R4. or should i go for a head and cabinet rig? or would it be better to go for a more offardable combo and then put a cabinet on it?? as far as amps go my knowledge is loud = good, not loud = bad; lol

cheers in advance for any replies

AnT

2. First...how much are you willing to spend???

3. between £300 and £600, possibley a bit more if necessary.

4. ahhhh euro currency....im sorry i dont know how much things cost in ur guys money someone else im sure will respond who does. u looking for a hignend rig or just an upgrade from where u are now?

-Vince

5. a bit of both really. mainly so i can be actually heard during practise; additionally so it can be good enough to play pub/club gigs with. i need an upgrade that isnt too huge that it breaks the bank but will last me for a good while.

...ive pretty much contradicted myself havent i? ahh dear...lol

6. Tell your guitarist to sell his current amp:D

Ahem, If I had the amount of money I think you have, I would get an ampeg b2r and an Avatar 4x10, but I'd imagine that that would run quite a bit more over in Europe (if you could even import the cab), and it still probably wouldn't be loud enough. Sorry, but I really don't know what you have available over there for cheap:(

Perhaps you could look around various local music stores for loud stuff on the cheap. Speaking of which, over on my side of the big blue wet thing, Peavey can be good for loud amps cheap, but I don't know if its the same in your corner of the world.

7. avatar is the answer here.

lace up a 4x10 with a gk head of your wallet size, youll be in never never land.

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I believe 300 - 600 pounds would be $450-$900 over here.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    For the USA TBers, that is between $500 and $1000 US Dollars.

You could get a lot with that. I am not familiar with the stores in your area, but in California, I bought a Carvin RC210 600 watt combo amp with a Carvin RL118 for $700.

I also bought an Ampeg SVT400T with an Ampeg B25 (2x15) cabinet for $240. (The seller even threw in a MIM Fender P! :D

Anyways, I liked the idear of a 210 combo with a 15" extension cab under it. Many brands make these, but I don't know what's commonly available in England. Some cool ones to look for

Carvin RC210
    SWR Redhead
    Eden Metro

I have played through all of these and they sound great. I have played out with the Carvin RC210 by itself and it did great. Also, I hear nothing but good things about the Peavey Bam.

Here are some possibilities:

SWR:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2541921252&category=1288

Ampeg:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543439834&category=10171

The ampeg is cab only, just keep your eyes pealed. You can get good deals on their B2R and my favorite, the SVT400T.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I didn't know they made 300 watt guitar amps!! Why would a guitarist need 300 watts??:( Come on, is that really frikkin' neccesary?? :confused:

Why don't you guys switch amps?!

11. The guitarist for a band I became friends with uses a 300W all tube Marshall...Randall Warheads are 300W also...so, they're out there...UNNEEDED But out there

12. I got a SWR Silverado Special 2x10 350 watt combo forsale...shipping would be costly but pm me or email me at topgun_sw@hotmail.com for price and info.

-Vince

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yikes. I feel sorry for you ;)

I think, if you're going to have any hope of competing with that monstrosity, you're going to need more than 300 watts. The low frequencies created by basses need much more power to be amplified correctly than guitars. I'm thinking you should probably go with a relatively cheap preamp/poweramp setup with some Avatar cabs. If I were in your position, I'd probably get:

Tech21 Sansamp RBI Preamp (~$300)
    QSC RMX1450 Power Amp (~$360)
    Avatar B410 8ohm Speaker Cabinet (~$340)

That way you can run the QSC bridged into the Avatar, giving you 900 watts to work with. And then if you ever need more volume, you can buy another 8ohm cab later on so you can get 1400 watts out of the QSC. Of course, you can switch things around, but this is just what I would do. Personally though, I don't think any combo amps will give you the volume you need to be heard in your situation.

14. Avatar is something to think about definetly. But this forum doesnt realize your in North Englan and Avatar ships inside north americ only...

I'd try looking into some Yorkville 4x10 cabs and maybe a hartke 3500??? You'd need atleast 300 watts. I doubt your guitarist isnt even using 100 watts of what he has...

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Kick the guitar player in the balls till he turns down.:D :D :D

Mike

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Marshall never made a 300W all tube guitar amp. They did used to do 200W all tube amps called Marshall Majors, but never 300W.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

About the Avatars - they're notorious for not being able to handle your B string. Just look at the Avatar review in the latest "Bass Player". The reviewers agreed......no free lunch :(

If you can find a used SWR or Genz-Benz cab with a bunch of 10"s, those high quality speakers with a big power amp and maybe just a Sansamp Bass Driver as your preamp will let you cut through without farting out.

18. incubass68

incubass68

Jun 21, 2003
    el paso, tx
    his price range is more like $350-$700 not $1000. go to www.x-rates.com

I hate to say it but if you can get a musicians friend over there they have a NADY XA-900 for $200 then a SansAmp RBI for like $230 then find a good used 8ohm cab. Whatever they got for sale over there. spend like US $250-$300 on the cab and you should be set. I would recommend a 4x10 or some kind of 15 and 10 or a 2x12 or a 4x12. I currently use a 150 watt Peavey head and an SWR 12 stack (4x12) I never go past 5 or 6 to be heard over his 200 watt Marshall. Try EQing some mids in to your sound. I know scooped sounds great alone but it very rarely cuts through if you are not slapping. You may even experiment raising the action and pickups a little so you can dig in more without hitting the frets. Good luck man.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rule of thumb:

You need TEN TIMES the power of the lead guitarist. Seriously. That means an Eden Navigator pre-amp and a QSC PLX 3002 power amp, with at least two Eden D-410XLTs.

I'm with the other guys. Clamp a vice-grip onto his most sensitive body part until he gets rid of the danged thing and buys a 50-watt amp. Seriously, a 300-watt bass amp won't even keep up with a 100-watt guitar amp. If he keeps his amp, you'll just be farting away money if you don't get at LEAST 1,000 watts and the speakers to handle it.

20. incubass68

incubass68

Jun 21, 2003
    el paso, tx
    I spend all my time looking up useless bass knowledge on the internet and have found that to be heard you need about 3 times as much power as a guitar amp. Now stop to think that he is probably using about 100-200 watts of his amp that means 300-600 watts for you the more the better. I'm not a fan of them but if you can get to www.musiciansfriend.com try and check out my earlier post's recommends. The EDEN steup would be great but I don't think you could afford it.