1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a boost

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lakland55, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lakland55

Lakland55 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    TB,

I need to know if anyone's bought the Bartolini TC3 Booster Preamp for a passive bass and how well it performs. :help:

The backstory: I owe a refurbished/customized BC Rich ST (Class Axe Era, Platinum Series, 4 String) with a set of passive P/J Bartolini pups. The issue I have is that is it grossly under powered and I'm beginning to think about spending a couple bucks to give it the extra umph that it needs to be used live. The bass is equiped with three knobs, Volume/Pickup blend/Tone.

I'm not really interested in putting in a full-on bells and whistles preamp but if the Bart Booster helps then I'm game.

Let me know what you think...

2. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Since it's a BCR (even a Class Axe one), why not get a proper, old school, BCR booster from the man who designed it - Neal Moser? :D He sells them on his website:
    Bass Booster Circuit Bass Booster Circuit [ID #120 - EO] - $50.00 : Neal Moser Guitars , Fine Custom Handmade Guitars, Basses, electric guitar parts and BC Rich Parts It's completely bypassed when off, so if the battery dies, you still have full passive operation of your pickups. I would advise getting an on/off switch for it, and using one of your pots as a volume control for it (you may need to get a proper type/value pot from Neal - you can ask him and he'll tell you exactly what you need).

I have one of these in my main bass (custom Moser Arachnid Ultra), and it's an ANIMAL! :D

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist: