1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So for about a month now I've been without a bass cabinet. Not really out of choice either.:meh::spit:

What I've been doing is borrowing my friend's SVT-810 or using my Sadowsky DI box when I can (which is rare) but my friend's patience is wearing thin since I keep borrowing his only cab (even though I toss him money when I can) and I don't really wanna piss off my friend, especially since he's doing me a big favor.

I have two bass heads right now. My Mesa Boogie 400+ and a Peavey Max 160 that I use as a backup (surprisingly good sounding little head, but it just doesn't get loud enough without sounding like crap IMO and IME)

I spend most of my time in the Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn so I spend a lot of time on trains, so I don't want a huge cab.

I'm also piss broke and my credit isn't the greatest so I don't wanna charge this, but I don't have much cash.

I like a thick tone, you know, lots 'o meat to it. I play a P-bass with flats.

However occasionally I like to do some stuff with the upper mids for more modern sounding stuff.

My old cabs were a Berg NV610 and NV215, or as I liked to call it The God Setup.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    So what's your budget? Unless you can quote an exact number, hard to know what to recommend.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Well the sooner I pick up a cabinet the better. I don't mind spending a lot of money on a cab if I have to, but I'd like to buy used preferably and sub $1000.

I can put up to $20-30 away a week to save for the new cab and I'd like to have a new one by X-Mas. Which would put me in the $250-400 range, but I'm selling some stuff so that could be bumped up by a few hundred.

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Well what about just a good 'ol Ampeg SVT-810e? I know you might not like them, but still. Heck go with a 2x12 like the Gallien Kreuger Neo 2x12? I'm not sure what you can or can't bring on the New York subs.

5. Avatar cabs...best bang for the buck out there..

[​IMG]

B212NEO $350.00 500 watts and a mere 56 pounds

or

[​IMG]

The B410NEO $429.00 1000 watts and a mere 65 pounds and can be had in either 4 or 8 ohm

win win!

6. I hardily concur with the Avatar recommendation. I use a Neo 2x12 for one of my cabs(SWR Big Ben for the other, I'm going for a real over the top almost sub bass thing otherwise I'd probably just use another Neo). At 56 lbs it's pretty damn light. It handles my Peavey Classic 400 very well. It's gotta a lot of punch and a lot of bass. I've never had it fart out. You could get two in colored tolex for under a G. It has a decent tweeter too, although I don't use it very much.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats what I'm using right now, but it doesn't have as much low end response as I'd like.

You can bring most anything on a subway. At the moment I push around the 810 in front of me and carry my basses in a double gig bag with my DI and cables. Then my "roadie" (girlfriend) pushes around my rolling rack with the bass head, tuner, wireless, etc.

Its not convienent but it works.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm really liking the looks of those avatars.:)

Can you turn the tweeters off?:cool:

9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You can!
    I do seem to remember hearing a rumor or something about the crossover burning up or catching on fire when they were all the way off. :meh:

I'm not sure though. Worst case scenario, bypass the x-over and go straight to the speakers. :bassist:

10. GE just head over to the website and check out the specs these guys are real good with customer service and answering questions....

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

11. edward681

edward681

Oct 2, 2008
    ...You might also consider a good high powered combo. My Peavey combo 300 is a beast!

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Those 2x12's sure look like something!

Black tolex with a new speaker grill and I'm in business. :D

I'm a big fan of the stack, since I get more head room, and its easier for me to hear myself.

Should I get one of each or should I just get a pair of those 212s when I have enough money?

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hey....i know this may sound crazy but i got quoted a custom emperor cab 2x15 600 watt cab for 850 shipped. hell.....i want one haha. incredible price if you ask me. if weight wasn't a issue i'd tell you to get a 2x15 mesa boogie road ready cab from the 90's. they usually run like 400-700 and are seriously one of the best cabs i've ever used....but they weigh a ton! good luck mate.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thanks!

I'd get a used Mesa cab but I can't seem to find any here locally except for small rusted out road ready cabs of various makes (although nothing big:()

15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    how about an orange obc410? it is sub 1k.

16. ehornung

ehornung Guest

I really like my 2 Aguilar 8ohm GS 2X12 cabinets. They're rated at 600 watts each, weigh 70 pounds, instead of the usual 98 +/- pounds of most 4X10's.... And they sound great!
    Much less expensive than the Neo upper-end stuff, (UL series Epifani etc).... and they have a nice warm tone. Especially paired with a Mesa M6 Carbine. Use 1 for small gigs/rehearsals, and both for larger shows. Just my opinion, but I love em.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Only Orange gear I've ever had a chance to play was a tiny bass combo:p

18. Bergantino

Perfect for subways

Perfect for tone

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've already owned two and they were yoinked and both are over my sub-$1000 requirement.;)

20. yoinked = stolen?

sorry i don't speak NYC :crying: