I NEED A CAR!!! please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmmm whats a good way to look for cars??
    I want a Mazda Miata if i can afford it and the insurence isn't too bad..which i know it prolly will be =(
    well i got my permit a couple days ago and in about 3 months im gonna start saving up for a car.
    My problem is Insurence.. I just want basic coverage... Im a male ..17, I make good grades (A's and B's)
    I think that gives you a little slack on prices in mississippi but i could be wrong. This is what i hear.
    I dont do drugs, i dont drink nor ever tempted too...
    Sooo.. hows a way i could get a quote before having a car?? Just to see what im looking for.
    hmm I like early 90s Mazdas, Hondas, Mitsubishis.. if i can find one , I know a mitsubishi is out of the question really. especially an eclipse. =(
    well this is my rant and ill go now.. but if you can help me on how to aquire info or anything, then it will be apreciated.
  2. Everyone knows that a real ninja wouldn't be caught dead in a Miata. If I were you, I'd go for an early 90's Honda Civic in good shape.

Civics are cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.
  3. Another consideration is replacement parts! I did a quick study and found that you'll pay about 3x more for Miata parts compared to similiar Civic components. A big consideration since you're gunning for a 10 year old car.

As for price quotes, check out the newspaper, any online buy/sell papers for your area, or call/visit any local dealerships.
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    good poiint rapid granny. im prolly gonna find a cheap civic.. i actually found one for 1500 bucks... 50,000 miles in it.. hmm its a 90.. its grey.. its looks nice.. no dents.. but who cares i wanna go to my girls house and to work.. thats it!
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Insurance on my 84 Impala [just put 50k miles on it] is about $70 a month. I'm 16. We have my mom as the primary driver & i get the good student discount. I'm glad i got my Impala since i can fit 2 electrics + my combo amp [bassman 200] in the trunk, put the upright in the back seat & put the tuba with it and magically all my equipment fits & still have room for 3 people [including me]. :-D Thats all
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    are you looking for a fun sporty car or just transportation?

if you're looking for fun, here are the options i was looking at when i got my most recent car:

VW Corrado - one of the coolest looking cars of all time, quick, fun, expensive (esp maintance). i had one for a while and haven't gotten over selling it yet (kind of like getting dumped by a really hot girl...) i couldn't afford the maintainance but when it was running...probably tied with my 240SX for my favorite car i've owned. (not factoring in running costs)

Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser - the early AWD ones are great value performance buys, easily modded, parts are cheaper than german cars, AWD good in bad weather. non-turbo is a slug.

Mazda Miata - the car i would get if i wasn't a bassist. great driving dynamic, perfect balance, tossable, RWD.

Nissan 240SX - the car i bought. near perfect balance, great engine, reliable, cheap parts, RWD. getting REALLY popular in the import crowd though, so used prices are going up.

Civic Si - The hatch ones (88-95) have nice engines, good balance - nice autocrossers but not a whole lot of oomph. Parts are CHEAP, reliable, and the aftermarket is HUGE. keep their value really well, which sucks when buying and rocks when selling.

that help?
  7. Good call Jason. Whenever someone asks me what I think would be a good car....civic. It'll go forever. Japanese manuf. know how to do the inline 4 thing.

Just make sure you put the biggest wing on it you can find! If you can't find a huge one...then put two smaller ones on!

I love Beaterz!
  8. Don't forget the exhaust!

9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    That exhaust is clutch, oh so clutch.

10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just incase anyones wondering "*** is a corrado..."

and here's the one i used to have...

11. the Corrado looks sorta like the Delorian.

Japanese cars are made to last, Civics and Camry's are supposedly the most reliable cars on the road. I was just given my mom's old Volvo, Volvo's can go forever and they're damn safe too. Only problem is parts can be a pain, and they're a bit of an eye sore to some people(I don't think they look that bad)
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    For reliability Japanese cars are definitely the way to go. My '88 Accord is still running strong and I treat it like crap. Plus there are tons of aftermarket parts if you feel like spicing things up.

For general prices you could check the Kelly blue book.

13. Nice cars! One of my friend had three of them, the first 2 were 16v jobs, very nice, his last was the VR6. Sadly I never got a shot of any of them, although I road shotgun on the first two a couple of times!

Shame VW stopped making them!
  14. IMO any bass player needs a van. The other dorks in anyones band are too dumb to realize this (I'm a drummer I should have a 'vet). Look for a 90-95 astro van you'll tahnks yourself later.

PS That VW is COOL!! I have never seen one

15. Effectively it's a VW Golf with a nice Coupe bodyshell on it! (You get VW Golfs in the US don't you?)
  16. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I would say go for a Honda Accord V6. Those are real cool, and you have the speed factor. Those are actually the only honda cars I like...that and the civic hatch backs, those are hideously fast for some reason or another and I respect em'. I see too many civics around and my like for them has decreased greatly, but that's just me though!
    Another look that you could go for are the old caddy's and lincolns! Those are always cool. Strictly the 80's, you could probably find something for cheap, and you'll be able to have room for your gear (which should be the primary thing, right? :))
    Those are the kinds of cars I was going for when I was looking before I got my cherokee. Going for an suv wouldn't be a bad idea either, but good ones are hard to come by for good prices...I guess.
    A van would be pretty cool too, you're always cool if you have a van!

That's my nickel on the matter. Probably too many things to choose from though. Heh heh...my bad :D
  17. Hello, Porsche 968? Slightly different market, I guess :)

18. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    that beatrz site is freakin' hilarious!!!!
    Those are some pitiful lookin' cars!
    haha :D
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup. had an 83 gti with a 2.1 16v motor & twin weber 40DCOEs, stiff-ass suspension, and no interior.

she was fun.
  20. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yay found a car! sorta
    I just gotta get it cause they are dimadozen here..
    1989 -93 honda civic.. my dads gonna pay for it as long as i take care of insurence for me.. =D
    I liked the sedans at first but the more i look at hatchbacks and how people have mod'd em up I really like hatchbacks now!!!!
    i found one for $1200 .. it has 120,000 miles on it.. but got a new motor in 1999 at 100,000 miles..
    I cant wait! Im excited.. Ive had my permit since thursday and my moms letting me drive around the neighboorhood already (i dont live in suburbia.. many curvy twisting hills that really suck.. hardly any stop signs. She sez im a good driver though. So in March im getting my car. Then around september ill ask for a paint job so I can have a surf green or Lake Placid blue civic.

I think.. a lake placid blue civic.. with red tent' windows.... the STEVE HARRIS MOBILE! yeah! =D
    That would be shweet.