Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need A Cheap 6er...But Not A "Cheap" 6er...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Aug 22, 2005.

Which 6?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2005.
  1. Brice 6 String

32 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. Rogue LX406

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i think you know what i mean. i need a 6 string for a new metal band i'm in. now, i'm not exactly in the financial position to choose just any 6 string, so, i found these two that have caught my attention:

Brice 6 String

Rogue LX406

this may be a stupid question, but between the two, which offers the best deal? best quality? i mean, i know i can't expect too much; but i'd like to know, in general, which could be considered the "better" of the two.

so basically, simply put, which would you get if you were in my position? oh, and if you can think of something better, within the $100-$350 price range, please share.;)

2. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just got a Brice 6-string this week...I like it a lot so far...they are like the SX's, relaly good for the price. (At least, that's the most popular opinion around here, it seems)

I'm generally distrusting of Rogue, but I have limited experience with them.

3. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    what do you think of the tone on that Brice?

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I dunno man...I really don't think given the price range you can avoid a "cheap" bass...that's a low budget.

I was going to suggest a used Yammy TRB6 or Conklin GT6 but even those are out of range.

5. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I think the tone on my Brice seems lively. With everything stock, it punches through hard with a good amount of mids (I had to turn down my treble and mids and turn up the bass on my amp's eq to give it the bassy sound I like).

I'd say it's tone would be pretty good for the hard stuff. I play with an Alternative-Metal band that has two guitars, and this one seems like it'll punch through the mix even better than my Ibanez 5-string that has active pickups (and I thought that the active pups in my srx had a lot of mids).

Based on what it sounds like you're going for, I stand behind my vote for Brice.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm completely happy with my Brice V2 6 string. It's adequate and 100% giggable. Go to www.rondomusic.com and look around, they have a few to choose from.

I've heard good things about the Rogue six string basses here, also.

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Other good inexpensive 6ers:

-Peavey Fury 6
    -Ibanez SR506
    -Samick Fairlane 6
    -ESP/LTD B206

8. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    I've been using a Brice HXB-406 Natural since Feb. and have had nothing but complements. I gig with other much more expensive instruments as well but I can always count on the depth of the Brice to shake the stage :) It's my main axe at the moment and has never let me down.
    The pickups do drop off a bit on the high strings but a little work with a screwdriver would fix that in short order. It's a little neck heavy as one might expect but it's a beautiful, well made bass and will serve you well.
    sumrnitz

9. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I would pick the Brice over the Rogue, personally.

I just looked at the five string collection at rondomusic. I see a good looking bass, but they put the strings too close together... sigh

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'd buy the Brice over the Rogue. Though I'd buy an Ibanez SR-506 over the Brice (which is exactly what I actually did. heh heh...). Best of luck!!

11. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yeah, i've considered the sr506 as well, shit, i even tried to order it but Music123 STILL hasn't approved me for their card; so i just scrapped that idea. although if the sr506 is a lot better, i may consider trying to get it somewhere else.

whichs brings me to another question, in regard to the quality of a B string, do 35" scales make a difference? i have heard that if you want a solid B, 35's are better then 34's. how accurate is that statement? does it even make a difference?

12. Good LORD man, do NOT get the Rogue! I beseech you to save up money and purchase something from a reputable name even if it costs a few bucks more.

13. The brice would make a good instrument for you. You might also look at an Ibanez Soundgear 6 or BTB6 or a Peavey Fury 6. I've played all of these and they are nice instruments as well. If you get lucky, you may be able to find one of these used in your price range.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Avoid the Rogue, not sure if your other choice is really THAT great.

Try finding yourself a used Ibanez SR406 or SR506. Should be able to get them around $300.

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I second the idea of a used Ibanez SR4 or 5 series. But I thought you were anti-ERB?

If I could make up my mind I'd give you a good deal on my SR506, but I'm not sure I'm getting rid of it yet.

16. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    are you from MX or something? and no, i'm not anti-ERB, i just never wanted to get one until i joined this band. see, i need a low B, and since i don't like 5 strings, i figured i'd just get a 6 string.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Supernaut - check your private messages! :)

18. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Supernaut, you might try American Musical Supply ( http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-SR506-BM.html ). They have a deal where you can pay for it over 3 months. That's what I did when I bought mine after trying it at a local store. Just made the last payment! :)

19. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    ah, i'm so used to MX i forgot all about the PM feature.:p

20. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    thanks, i'll check that out.;)