Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a cheap but good bass...help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Aug 13, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    hey i've been looking to get myself a new bass since my olp is getting kinda.....muddy....i guess is how i would describe it. anyways i need a new bass for $300 or less......can anyone recommend one to me? THANKS!!!

2. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I use an ibanez gsr 200 cost me £169 i don't know how much it costs in U.S but it's a bargain wherever you get it from.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For right around $300, I would recommend a Yamaha BB404.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used Mexi Jazz.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Muddy? How about you just change your strings?

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The BB404 is pretty good. I played one for a while. It was loaner form the church I go to. Also check out the Ibanez SRX300. I ending up buying that instead of the BB404. I have seen MIM Fender P-Basses for $329.00 at GC if you are willing to put up with GC.

If you go with the Yamaha go look at the colors in person (just in case you order on line). My church owns a blue version and it is the cheesiest looking blue you could ever see it makes the bass look really cheap. The black ones and the burgandy/red looking colors look way better.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Try new strings... It'd be a LOT cheaper... ;)

Edit: DAMN!! Lackey beat me to it!!!! :scowl: ;)

8. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I have a fender 1995 MIM Jazz bass that I really like...get one of those. I found mine for $200 used.

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    And an SD Musicman pickup and preamp.........