Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a cheap combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazyman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I am looking for a new combo, because my actual amp sucks (Harley Benton HB-20B). There are 2 Combos that are interesting for me: the Behringer BX-300 (ca. 130 €) and the Roland Cube 30 Bass (ca. 250 €).
    So in your opinion, what is the best. There should be a good quality in the sound, espacially in the deep tones, because I want to feel the bass in my stomach. Also it must sound warm. Which would you recommend? Or would you recommend another combo? When yes, which one would that be?
    Thank you for your help!

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Well, those to me seem more like bedroom practice amps.

Good, cheap loud combos and you want Peavey my friend.

3. And what Peavey Combo would you recommend for me, if you would have 150 € to spend on?

4. Hey, I use a cube 30 (wit some neato effects) for my jazz combo practices...if your bass has the output youcan get some good tone (compression of course...)

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    used tnt 150

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Save a bit longer and get the Behringer BX 600 or find one used. That combo is quite loud and fat for its 60W rating. It can cut through on moderat volume rehersals IMO.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I totally agree! Try finding a used Peavey TNT or TKO. I have a TKO 80 (75 watts / 15" Scorpion + home installed Motorola Superhorn) which I use for small soul gigs and even to rehearse with my metal band. It's clean, loud and reliable!!!! It's an 80's model (newer modern Peavey logo ones -the red, black end white ones- are not that good, don't know why speakers tend to distort in these newer models). In Spain you can get one of these for around 200/250 EUR.

ANDRUCA

8. Check out Ashdown EB series. You shoud be able to get a used one for 275 euros. You should be able to get a new one for 350-375 Euros. Peaveys do not sound warm, but are cheap and loud and reliable. The TKOs may not be avaible in your area. Ashdowns are warm.

EB 150 112 or 115 is a most worth bass amp. It will thump your chest but be warm.

9. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    Try a Yorkville Bass Master XM50.

10. Thank you for your answers. I will try them all.
    But what do you think about the Ibanez SW-35 and the Warwick Blue Cab 30?

11. These are practice amps. The warwick was reviewed favorably in bass player magazine. But it is only 30 watts.

If you want an awesome practice amp that is warm, look for a used ampeg rocketbass B-50. Looks very cool too.

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    SWR LA10, LA12 or LA15!! Speaker size you can decide yourself :p awsome cheap amps..

13. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    I hear GC is having a pretty good sale on Ampeg and Fender combo's this weekend. Saw a post for a new Ampeg B112 for $169.99.

If you have a GC near by you may wish to check it out.

14. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1

I also really liked the SWR Basic Black; its discontinued, but Ive seen them floating around for fairly cheap...

Another that I dig is the Eden Nemesis 2x12....

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Much as I dont like the Ampeg sound if you do then thats a neat little amp right there.