1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a cheap under $200 bass guitar for home recording my gothic rock / alt rock demos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WingsOfTime6, Dec 28, 2017.

1. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    Hello everyone!

I'm basically a lead guitar player for over 10 years and my influences range from bands like Toto, Steely Dan, all the way to the gothic rock bands like Sisters of Mercy, Type O Negative, HIM....

After many failed bands due to lack of seriousness from other members I've decided to take things into my own hands and record all the instruments myself. I've held a bass guitar a few times in my hands and I felt like I really loved playing it. I also have some sense for bass lines because I've listened to lots of disco and acid jazz so by now bass lines kinda write themselves in my head, I just can't perform them since I have no bass.

Well, since I'm pretty much tired of writing the bass lines in software and not being able to program certain things like slides (at least I don't know how to) etc... I'd like to get myself a cheap bass guitar to at least perform the bass ideas myself.

So the genre I'm doing is basically gothic rock with some alternative rock and pop elements + some metal moments. Pretty melancholic stuff. I need a bass guitar that would sound decent enough for a demo with possibility of some fuzz, chorus, flanger and such effects on.

I've already checked a few videos and I prefer Precision bass sound over Jazz bass sound. Jazz bass is too bright for my taste. From this point on, the other bass brands I know nothing about come into question. I'd really love it if recommended bass guitar actually stayed in tune and was properly set up already (are any low end basses set up at all?). There's nothing I hate more than constantly tuning the poorly set up instrument.

Also please be very specific with model names because I don't know much about basses at all so I could get confused and ask extra questions just to get bass names right.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Big Shrek likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Buying used will get you more bang for your buck. I'd recommend a Ibanez SR eXtreme. If you're in Guitar Center's delivery area, go to their site & plug SRX into the search. You'll find basses for less than $200.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    alesreaper9, klejst, Duder and 2 others like this.
  3. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    I forgot to mention I'm from Europe so where I live there's only a small music store in vicinity. The only basses I can test there in that price range are Ibanez GSR 200 and Yamaha TRBX174.

I am however absolutely open to buying second hand over the internet.

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  5. Killed_by_Death

If you can't find a used Ibanez SRX, get the Yamaha TRBX, very good value for money.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    A used Peavey bass would be a good choice. I don't know how common they are in your country.

Kawai-chang, Aqualung60 and Big Shrek like this.
  7. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    I've red many comparisons of these 2 basses online and most people pick Ibanez over that particular Yamaha model but I have no idea why. Why do you personally find that certain Yamaha better?

Another thing, would Squire Vintage Modified Precision Bass PJ be a good choice for gothic rock? Some people say it's a damn good bass for that price. Might be worth saving a bit more if it's really worth it.

pudgychef likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Used, of course.
    Although you might want to try out one of these.
    $199.99…plenty of fans here.
    20171228_193408.jpg

9. Killed_by_Death

The Ibanez SRX is better than the TRBX, but between a GSR Ibanez & a TRBX Yamaha, I'd pick the TRBX.
    GSR is the bare bones model of Ibanez, very basic.
    I'd also pick a SRX over a Squier.

Big Shrek likes this.
  10. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    Hey, whole Europe is my marketplace with internet really! Just wondering, what Peavey models are you talking about particularly? I want to check a few samples of course.

Thanks for the input, what bass guitar is that?

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
  12. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    I appreciate your tips, just wondering what makes you put one instrument over another. Have you managed to test those models yourself? Do you think that the SRX's tone would be more appropriate for the music I'm recording? I'm just a bit skeptical when I don't get an explanation of why something is better than the other. Hopefully you understand my skepticism!

Thanks, @jd56hawk will check it out.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

The SR eXtreme (SRX) was designed for harder music & has fantastic pickups in it. It can accomplish the middle of road sounds of the Squier & TRBX & more.

I've had my SRX since April & I have compared it directly to Squiers & Fenders, & the "regular" SR line of Ibanez.

I've also owned a RBX, the predecessor to the TRBX.

Actually, it's kind of a toss-up between the GSR200 & the TRBX174, so if you go for one of those, just pick the one you prefer the sound of.

Big Shrek likes this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    all good options, in the vein of Ibanez their ATK300 is an inexpensive standout, but if were sticking to a $200 max then Epiphone's Toby Std. IV is the ticket, and since this a Goth centric theme a black Toby stands alone.
    toby standard iv - Google Search

15. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I played one of these today. Outstanding bass. Only drawback for me was the weight. Heavy

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. WingsOfTime6

WingsOfTime6

Dec 28, 2017
    Great response. I'm trying to find the SRX 300 in any of the European stores using geizhals.eu (which is a price comparison service for Europe) but apparently that particular model is not sold actively anymore. It appears that SRX 350 is now the lowest model you can find in stores and it goes upwards from there (although there is SR 300 but that is not the same series is it?).

I'm totally down for waiting a bit with purchase if it actually brings me a much better bass for not much price difference.

I checked this bass out a bit on YT, although I have to say it has a pretty good tone for goth I'm a bit skeptical about build quality, people apparently like the Ibanez GSR 200 more in that price range, mostly because of a much better build quality. I don't care much about looks, tone and build quality is where it's at.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

The SRX outperforms the SR series, IME.

18. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    you'll never know til you give any of them a serious tryout, but the build quality of the Toby Std. IV is a non issue.

19. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you like a P bass sound look for a gently used Squier classic vibe P bass.

Gaolee, macmanlou, Nev375 and 2 others like this.
  20. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    +1

Many many years ago I pulled the trigger on a used SR 400 for 150 dollars. That was a whole lot of bass for the money. Super fast neck and sounded great. You can't go wrong with a used Ibanez in your price range OP.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021