1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need a clue - how to armor and/or heal my picking thumb.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slagheap, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    been getting a headstart on new year's resolution to get my muted sixteenth note double thumbing together. having a fun, challenging, time, but thumb has gotten so tore up it's setting me back. any ideas? first hand experience is what i'm hoping for here. THANK-YOU!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    First, I'm not really sure what you're talking about...

Second, regardless of what you're talking about I'd say either do it more lightly, allow your thumb sufficient rest time in between practicing so you develop a callous, or both.

What exactly is muted sixteenth not double thumbing?

3. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    muted sixteenth note double thumbing. well, that's what i call it, anyway - you've no doubt heard it or seen it or already do it yourself. it's using the thumb as an up and down stroke pick playing sixteenths while muting with the fretting hand - one-e and a two-e and three-e and a four-e...
    i use the tip of thumb a bit along with the fleshy side and the nail side. strict up & down wherever possible. you're kind of popping it just a hair on the upstrokes and thumping just a tad on the downstrokes. it's a fairly small, controlled, motion when done expertly ( i'm far, far, from expert with it at this point. ) it is both driving and funky as hell.

4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Try using a thumb pick. Works great for me.

fretlessguy and slagheap like this.
  5. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    not my thing but i know it works great for some. e.g. i really dug rod elicott...

6. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    here we go: i smeared a layer of super glue over & around my thumb tip - apparently it's a well known tactic. waiting for it to dry, i'll report back in a day or two.

Chris Inburque and pcake like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    yup, using superglue to protect the area is indeed a well known approach to protecting the area - it's like making a fake callus.

i used to have a buddy who used the side of his thumb and played insanely fast. he used to bleed down his hand from his thumb at every show. luckily the band he was in played the kind of music where fake blood is often used, so the audience thought his bleeding was an effect :D

Chris Inburque likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Helpful hint- don't pee before the glue is dry.

9. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    If you don't like the idea of gluing yourself, go to a medical supply house and buy a thumb cot. It's like a condom for a finger/thumb.

10. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    reporting back: super glue ( i used the gel type, ) trick works pretty well. if digit so sore hurts to breathe on it or even look at it, coat the area with a couple thin layers, let cure. takes the edge off just enough to continue playing - probably get you through the gig. i will always keep some handy.

11. Liquid bandaid might work also. i believe it's basically a form of superglue. May be cheaper if you can still buy it.

12. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    i dunno. the good thing about superglue is it dries into kind of a hard shield. it does abrade away fairly quickly, leaves dust all over the pick up. several coats with dry time in between is best. i'm breaking it out again first thing in the a.m. couldn't practice my muted thumbing for very long tonight, hurt too much, but it's coming along. very slowly, but i think it's coming.