1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a combo amp. Help me out!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Ok, so I am just flat out sick of carry my heavy rack and GK115 to practice every week. So I think it's time to invest in a combo.:smug:

I want something lightweight, and plenty loud enough to keep up wit a band and then some.

I play a 4 and a 5 string if that matters.

I want a really boomy fat tone. I play classic rock and country in this band. I plan on just using this amp for practice, and small gigs.

My max spending is only $400 for now. I will buy used if that's what I need to do.

Thanks!:bassist:

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think that your requirements are at odd with one-another....

Combo amps that are "Big and boomy" are rare indeed - and rarer still is ANYTHING very good for ~$400 for both an amp and driver...

And I'd suggest buying used no matter WHAT you buy, but I think you may want to rethink your plan.

Tell us - Are you happy with the sound of your rig now?
    Could it be that putting your amp into a smaller rack (like a 2 space rack-bag, much I have done) might make schlepping easier? Schlepping is part of being a bassist, I hate to say...

3. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY

I love my current bass tone. I use a GK 1001RB-II, 410RBX, and a 115RBX. with a tech 21 sansamp RBI.

When I said big and boomy, I didn't mean physical wise.
    I want a fat bass tone that gives some nice thump.;)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    But, it's actually easier to schlepp what you've got, then it would be a big heavy combo amp. I think I smell GAS here, (not that there's anything wrong with that), and your solution is more likely a hand truck, or dolly cart of some sort.

5. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    +1 get a $20 furniture dolly;)

6. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Well, it's not really practical to have a 700 watt amp for practice and small bar gigs.

I was looking at maybe saving up for a bit and getting a genz benz shuttle. How are those?

7. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I just picked up the Acoustic B200H head w/ B115 cabinet, $400.00 new at Guitar Center.
    Better and cheaper than most combo's.

The Acoustic replaced my Ampeg BA115HP combo.

If your set on getting a combo check out the Acoustic B200 selling new for 349.00 at G.C.

The Acoustics are really great bang for the buck and sound killer !!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Davyo