1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgrthnababysarm, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Hi, i have been a guitar player for the last few years but i have recently decided to join a band as a bass player. I have a pretty crappy kramer bass that i picked up used a couple years ago that i think will work fine, but i dont have an amp. Ive been running my bass through the pa system that we have but it is time for me to get a real amp. There is only one guitar to compete with and our drummer hits relatively hard but nothing to extreme. I think that for most of our shows i will probably be miced, so i just need something that can keep up with the guitar and drums during practice. I have a pretty tight budget of about $300 but, I do not mind getting an old used amp if that would be better. I just want something that will give me the volume i need, has a good clean tone, and preferably a combo. So if anyone can reccomend any good amps for me to get, i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ampeg B100R

-Mike

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    +100000000000000000000000001

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I just did a gig last week in a huge barn with my B100R. No problem being heard.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    B100R for 300 bucks? Where?

I've got a Peavey Basic 112....got it for $200. Decent amp, but I've never tested it against a drummer...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've seen them on bassgear.com for $300-350. One sold on my local craigslist last month for $300. I bought it! Boo-YEAH!!

-Mike

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It looks like you may have missed the one for sale right here at TB for $300. Here it is: B100R for $299.

-Mike

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I love the sound of the B100R. Heavy buggers, though (for a combo).

Another possibility is a used Nemesis 210 combo. The earlier generation of those sells in your price range sometimes.

And another option that might not have the cache of the above two is a used Peavey TNT ... heavy but cheap, good and loud, louder than the rated watts might indicate.

Good Luck!
    Liam

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My first quality amp was a B100r. I bought it dirt cheap on ebay because it wasnt in the best cosmetic condition. But it was all i could afford at the time and anything else in that price range is crap compared to it.

Really, i got it dirt cheap. $162.50 + shipping, came out to $200 total.

I used it for about a year.