Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a custom pickup-installation job.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lefty007, Aug 17, 2005.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have a bass that has a custom-made pickup (made by the bass manufacturer) that is not working. The manufacturer is taking 20 month to get me a replacement for this pickup (and still waiting) and I don't want to wait any longer.

I'm thinking to install a Dimarzio Model One or a Darkstar pickup, since the custom-made pickup to be replaced is bigger than a regular pickup, so a bigger pickup like those mentioned would most likely cover the existing hole, without the need of a pickguard.

For this I would need a professional routing of the body to fit the new pickup.

Anybody can point me out to a nice repair shop to do this?
    I'm in Miami, FL, and I don't know any local shop capable of doing this, so I will ship the bass anywhere.

Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What happens when the new pickup finally comes and you have a giant hole in it? If I were you, I'd look for a direct replacement, or a smaller pickup rather than larger.

But if you're intent on getting it routed, I can't imagine Miami having a shortage of luthiers. Look in the yellow pages under musical instrument repair or call your favorite music store.