1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a custom pickup-installation job.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lefty007, Aug 17, 2005.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have a bass that has a custom-made pickup (made by the bass manufacturer) that is not working. The manufacturer is taking 20 month to get me a replacement for this pickup (and still waiting) and I don't want to wait any longer.

I'm thinking to install a Dimarzio Model One or a Darkstar pickup, since the custom-made pickup to be replaced is bigger than a regular pickup, so a bigger pickup like those mentioned would most likely cover the existing hole, without the need of a pickguard.

For this I would need a professional routing of the body to fit the new pickup.

Anybody can point me out to a nice repair shop to do this?
    I'm in Miami, FL, and I don't know any local shop capable of doing this, so I will ship the bass anywhere.

Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What happens when the new pickup finally comes and you have a giant hole in it? If I were you, I'd look for a direct replacement, or a smaller pickup rather than larger.

But if you're intent on getting it routed, I can't imagine Miami having a shortage of luthiers. Look in the yellow pages under musical instrument repair or call your favorite music store.