Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a dirt-cheap temporary preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ego, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i'm trying to upgrade from a lame Yamaha head, and so i just picked up a QSC PLX 1602. i intended to use the power-amp in on my yamaha until i could afford a proper preamp, only to find that the power-amp in connection offers no signal whatever (i know for sure this is the problem). i can get sound by plugging directly into the poweramp, but it's not that good. can someone recommend me a cheapo preamp until i can afford my ampeg?

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Errr, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be running a cable from your head's "Preamp out" to your poweramp. "Power Amp in" is where you plug you own preamp to use the Yamaha's power section, bypassing its preamp.

3. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    wow i'm dumb

thanks

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Nope, this is correct. Use the preamp out/effects send/etc.

If you really wat a super cheap pre, pick up a used SABDDI. Just make sure that you get one of the new ones with the line/instrument level switch.

5. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    No prob. And don't worry, nobody' born knowing everything...

(a day where you learn something new is a good day, and all that happy crap, etc, ;))

6. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i'd call it a good day for sure, this thing sounds really really good :)

7. I would hardly say they are super cheap, and they are still fking nice!