1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a favor like my band on facebook please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spaz21387, Jan 23, 2012.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So my band went and saw our drummers brothers band play a show the other night. They were some just happy boring mindless music without a real message. They packed this bar and my bandleader cant figure out why. Hes starting to get discouraged and is starting to think the project sucks. So I want to get the band page a few more likes. Id gladly return the favor and like your band if you post the link.

FiVE-0 | Facebook

Thanks again.

2. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What's your drummer's brother's band? ...just for comparison purposes.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    illucid onset they are very skilled musicians. you should be able to find them on reverbnation. Im not dissing them at all they put on a great show but they also hurt my bandleaders pride alittle bit ha.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Can't figure out why after you just told us exactly why in the previous sentence? Try rewording that in less insulting terms and you'll have your answer right there.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Just a question really. What do random Facebook likes actually get anyone? Yeah a bar owner might check out your Facebook page and see you have 1000 fans and book you but in reality you only have 20 fans from your area and 2 show up.

I get the image of being popular to a venue owner, but isn't that a setup to fail?

Edit: It's like a badge of honor. If you are good you will get fans.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You have just been liked by me personally and my band Flood.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sure, no problem! Ill like any band as long as it doesnt have a white guy with dreadlocks...ohhhhhh....sorrrrrrreeeeyyy

8. Twenty2AcaciaAv

Twenty2AcaciaAv

Feb 17, 2011
    Fishing for "likes" for your band may have the opposite effect that you're looking for. Instead of fishing for "likes" on a bass player forum, go out and open for some local bands and ask people that you're facebook friends with to come see you.

9. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    I have to hear the music before I "like" the band....IMO let people hear what you have before making them "like" the page.

10. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I saw that too. Kind of a turn off. I went to the reverb nation page to listen as a courtesy.

11. I can't listen to the songs without liking the band first? That doesn't show a lot of confidence in your music IMO.

On a side note, it sounds like your band is shooting for the wrong crowd-you guys are upset that fans of apparently mindless, boring music aren't packing your gigs and you are mad about it? Also, I'd check out venues that cater to your crowd. Every bar aims for a certain demographic whether they realize it or not, and if your band has certain political motivations, don't try to book gigs at places with no political motivations, or you are setting yourself up for either a lonely gig or an awkward one.

12. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So my real thoughts after comparing the two bands:

First off, when you search ill lucid onset google returns a lot of results on that band. They are all over the internet. The same search for five-0 returns one page for a different band that plays covers. Lucid's webpage is very professional and mentions having a management team. They are very organized on their presentation and promotion.

Secondly the music. While I'm not particularly into either band, lucid has more pop appeal than five-0. This isn't a deal breaker, but your style of music will only ever appeal to a very small portion of the public. Even in punk's heyday it was difficult to fill a club...many shows were in people's basements were 20 people looks like a lot.

Thirdly...as I mentioned before, having to like a band before listening to you music is a turn off. I'll skip to the next band instead. Plus the days of needing a ton of friends and likes is over imho.

Do some research on promotion and marketing for your band. Sure it sounds like anti whatever your band stands for...but in reality venues don't care about your message they care about making money. And since your target audience is smaller than the typical poppy band, you're gonna need the promotion to let your potential fans know you exist.