I need a Fender Precision/ Stingray hybrid.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Any suggestions of which bass would best combine both that classic P-bass depth and punch with some of that famed Stingray growl? I have tried the G&L L2500 and personally thought it to be the closest. I liked the Lakland feel allot but it's overall tone was far too refined and modern to be in the same category IMO. I also don't care at all for that Jazz bass tone. I am thinking bolt-on, passive and alder...? Am I right on this? I have been using my Alembic equipped Warwick 5 strings for years in my dub trio but really crave that punchy deep P-bass sound of when the tone control is rolled halfways down..love it. Kinda want a bit of that Stingray versatility and snarl on occassion as well. For the dub however, giant P-bass booty is definitely THE crucial missing element.
    Basses that I have jived with;
    Fender Amercian Vintage series...the '62 P
    The 1951 MIJ Sting (evil) P-bass sounded great.
    Fender P w/a Dimarzio hotrod PU sounded rich and full as well.
    I would LOVE a suggestion for any bass that would get me this classic P-tone but with some Stingray versatility in there.help!!
  2. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Howzaboot an American deluxe p-bass. it has p and MM pups.
  3. Good suggestion but those Fender actives are fairly substandard IMO. I'd really love a passive for THAT sound, you know?
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Out of curiosity, what would be "standard" IYO?
  5. The Am. Deluxe P doesn't nail the P sound, to me anyway.

Maybe a custom is in order? A P and MM pups, a 3 band EQ with a passive/active switch?

THe P would sound best *for the more traditional sound* with alder/rosewood

The MM would sound best *in its context* with ash/maple

Im assuming you want the P sound more then the MM sound, so maybe you want alder/rosewood?

Hopefully I helped at least a little.
  6. Just that the general consensus of opinion towards Fender actives is that they suck. I personally don't like their overall tone either and think they could do much better. They don't need to sound as cheap as their electronics do?
    I would to hear any suggestions for some decent (hopefully) passive, bolt-on P-bass/Stingray hybrid models though...?
  7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Kramer used to make a P- Dual J pickup bass way back when.

Maybe one of those would do the trick?

I don't know about that "general consensus" thing, though.
  8. Me neither...not even close IMO.

You're most likely right. Do you think I should just buy a great Precsion and stick a Stingray HB in there? Would that even be possible with the PU positions and all?
  9. i'm really not that anxious about the passive/active thing. I am just trying to nail down why those old P-basses sound as good as they do. The tones I have loved have always come from bolt-on, passive, rosewood/alder combos.
    What about modding a Lakland with some sorta "vintage" P-bass PU or something? Is that crazy?? Maybe I should just buy a G&L...
  10. You are not likely to get the stingray sound without an active eq. Im not sure if the pups would overlap, but it would be close, I'd imagine.
  11. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    How can you even get both sounds anyway? Aren't the P-bass' pickup and the Stingray's pickup in the same spot, or really close?
  12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

bgavin did some research on the pickup placement of a P and a MM. He determined that the pickups would overlap a little if put on the same bass, in the traditional spots. So, you would have to move one or the other a little bit. The research may be on the spreadsheet at his website.
  14. If that is so then perhaps I should get a decent PJ and move the J PU forward to cover the coil locales of a Stingray. Hmm...
  15. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    You should try a Lakland with Duncans instead of the barts. I have one with a single pickup(Music man style) It has plenty of Growl. I would check into a 55-94 with Duncans, they seem to be pretty versatile. Good luck
  16. I have never had a problem with the Fender preamps, but the new American Deluxes have a new 18v preamp. Might be worth it to try an actual new one out that has the 18v preamp.

17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Imo, go back to the G&L. I was working on covers with my band today, and had to (and did successfully) nail a bluesy P tone and a ray tone. L series basses rock, though I prefer maple, you like rosewood. I get great punchy sounds w/the neck pup passive in series, and bridge pup active in series is good for more aggressive sounds.

All in all, sounds like you wanna go back to G&L.
  18. Had to weigh in on a tangential topic from a few posts previous. At a recent gig the bassist in the band after us (headliners are the middle bands on weeknights here in AZ) showed off his niec am Dlx J in which he installed the Sadowsky preamp. Sounded awesome. I guess this reinforces the belief that Fender MIA actives are a bit overpriced, unless of course, one knows how where & when to shop.
    As far as Mad Sub's topic is concerned, I would suggest the now-out-of-production Warwick models Streamer pro-M and FNA (which I am playing in the avatar pic). The Streamer has a "twinjazz" p-up in MM position. Each coil has its own 2-band active preamp. The FNA has a MM p-up in P bass position (or Sterling position, for the MM hardcores) and 3-band active EQ with a pull-slap switch on the vol knob that adds mega-booty. Roll off the treble and you have a great dub sound. When all else fails, go with the P-bass with MM p-up and active/passive switching. You just might create the Mad Sub signature model.

NYFD in memoriam 9/11/01
  19. Woah! Lotsa good suggestions there...thanks!
    Lakland; tried one and *loved* the neck feel but the tone was so darn slick, modern and hifi that it just didn't work for me. That was w/Barts however...anyway to get a big fat warm punchy vintage style tone from that puppie? SD's will do it you think??
    Warwick; I have two now including a Dolphin5 with an Alembic Fatboy in the neck and it sounds *very* good; my main bass. The other is a Thumb5 neck-through that could really use a new preamp or something. Good for modern Stingray/J bass tones but far from where I wanna be. A new preamp would go a long way methinks.... suggestions? Both my Wick's are great but none that I have heard get close to that classic P-bass booty I need.
    G&L; a great bass that I really liked. You think I can nail that classic P-bass tone with just that one?
    Fender; Well, a Deluxe with a better preamp would get me into five string territory which would be cool? Are Sadowsky preamps known for their "vintage" vibe? Maybe decent used P-bass with a MM HB routed in there would be an idea...any year in paticular I should go for?
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
  20. Ummm...what about those Billy Sheehan (shiver) models? I bet those would be a nifty dub machine no? EB-O style in the neck, Dimarzio P in the middle? I don't know much about those, do you guys?