I need a few new slap songs to learn

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Aug 10, 2004.

1. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Hey all. Recently I've been having trouble finding fun slap lines to learn. For the record, I already know most old RHCP songs and plenty of Primus/Les Claypool songs and a few Victor Wooten songs, but I'm looking for something straight out of the funk genre I might not have learned yet. I don't know many straight funk songs period, so any at all would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Play on! :bassist:
  2. Try some Marcus Miller. Power and Rampage are 2 cool ones to learn. Lucas Pickford has transcriptions in notation on his site if you want to learn them that way. www.lucaspickford.com. Both are fun to play, and very funky.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Marcus Miller - Burning Down the House
    Marcus Miller - Run For Cover
    those are two more good M2 songs.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Listen to some Larry Graham, he invented it.
  5. Listen to some Larry Graham, he invented it.

Debatable. Marcus Miller is great advice, also Stanley Clarke:D:D:D lol! ;)
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

How so? In the sense we are talking about now, the common view of electric slap bass. Not rockabilly double bassing or anything.
  7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    maybe u should listen to old school funk & soul. that's where guys like flea and les claypool got their inspiration from. sly & the fam stone, funkadelic, parliament, the meters, aretha franklin, marvin gay, james brown. i listened to it endlessly, it's about 'feeling it'. in my opinion slappin is all about timing. knowing when to do it, and most important, knowing when NOT to do it.
  8. How so?

Well, he may be the one who made Slapping known to the world because of his status, but noone can ever know. Someone might have been slapping for ages but was never discovered and so noone ever heard them slap. Its all about how you look at it. All IMO. *Thumbs up*
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

"Now that's just nitpicking then isnt' it."
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Get Level 42's "A Physical Presence- it's a live album with some of the most complex slap lines you'll ever hear. Mark King is a serious powerhouse.
  11. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Haha, perfect timing for a Spinal Tap quote.
  12. ...... and this guy has gone to the trouble of getting a lot of his lines down in notation and TAB !

Staurt Clayton