Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a free anti virus scanner

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Well yesterday I was trying to upload a file onto an email on hotmail, and it said the image had 'a virus that could not be cleaned, and therefore cannot be uploaded'. I thought this was strange, as my Kaspersky anti virus scanner hadn't picked anything up....howver, it's anti virus bases haven't been updated for about 3 months because the licence ran out, and my dad doeesn't know how to renew it. So, now I need a free downlaodable anti virus scanner, that won't clash with Kaspersky. Any ideas? :help:

2. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
  3. Is AVG free and will it clash with my Present anti virus scanner?(obviously I'll switch Kaspersky off).

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    it's completely free, no worries.

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    You also might want AntiVir as a backup. I've had situations where AVG couldn't get rid of something but Antivir could. And visa versa.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe you should get a Mac or Linux?? They never get infected with viruses.

:bag:

-Mike

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Hotmail is pretty weird with what it recognises as viruses anyway... I guess they're doing the "better safe than sorry" thing, but it can be annoying. Hence the reason I rarely ever use it nowadays. Yahoo and Gmail are much better, if you must use web-based email.

Russ :bassist:

9. May be getting a Mac for our next computer.

10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Not *never* but close to never. There are some pretty deadly linux, unix, and OS X viruses. Script kiddies can't just hurt them like they hurt windows.

On another note, I see Nick didn't leave; good to see that.