I need a fretless Soundgear neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, May 15, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well, I don't need one to live or anything, but I really would like one... I have a '96 Soundgear SR305 and really want a fretless neck, Ibanez apparently don't make fretless necks (says their site), so I was wondering if anyone knows of a company who does make a fretless neck for it (it's a 5-string btw) and how much it would be, I'm sure there must be a market for these things... If there is no such thing would it be worth ripping the frets out of the current neck I have? I have been told that it would greatly weaken the neck, but didn't Jaco do that? Anyway, thanks for any info...
  2. I'd bring it to a shop and have they remove the frets for you. If you do it right, the neck won't become weak.
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    If I do that will it have big slits in it? Can you fill them in or will it destroy the resonance or something, can you take the fingerboard off of the neck and put another one on? Would that be more expensive? Hmm, answer these and any other things that may be useful please, thanks in advance...
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

First do a search on fretless necks it may turn up something.
    They will fill in the grooves left by the missing frets with thin strips of wood, usually a light colored wood, this is what manufactures do with lined fretless necks. I'm assuming for large scale production they are the same necks without frets and wood strips installed instead.
  5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Brilliant, I might just do that, do you know how much it would be? Is it a particularly difficult thing to do or is it simple (not that I'd do it myself :)). Thanks for the info
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    DO THE JACO WAY!! rip them out then put epoxy!! lol ^_^
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Stewmac has some necks. Check with them.